Poor slug performance...

what kind of slugs are you using?

ive found that rifled slugs are pretty inaccurate out of my 590(20" bbl, cyllinder bore). i honestly don't think you should expect much ranged accuracy from a shotgun unless you use a rifled barrell with sabot slugs. of course there are always exceptions...

I get decent results out of imp. cyl. 12 gauge saiga with remington domed slugs. I prefer the 3" but the 2 3/4" work almost as well. they drop more at 50 yards than the 3". try a box of the 3" in 20 gauge. some guns just like particular rounds over others.

post-3-1102556058.jpg

Edited by Bvamp

As usual, here is my $.02. Shooting 20ga Winchester slugs at 50yds. Pretty happy with the groups. PK-AV red dot sight (from Uri at freedomoptics.com). I think the Wins are hotter than the Rem. sluggers, but they don't publish the muzzle velocity of the sluggers(?). Wins. are 1600 fps. Have fun. (Hi Bvamp :) drednought, are you using the iron sights? At 50yds that can be a hassle, perhaps.

Smokes

PSS Saiga 20 full choke, but at 19" is it really? (good question)

post-3-1102567073.jpg

Edited by Ol'smokie

smokie: I get similar groupings, smaller if I shoot off a sand bag. Yes, I am using iron sights. Also, I think the sluggers fly a LITTLE bit slower than the winchestors, but not all that much. I will see what kind of group I can lay out next time Im out. I have a few things I need to try during my next session, so one more wont be a big deal. Ill try a box of each slug types (rem. and win.) side by side and see what I can get out of them off a rest at the same distance.

drednought: something you need to keep in mind, is that modern slugs that are labeled as "rifled slugs" are meant to be shot through a choke. If you dont have ANY choke, you will not get spin on the round as it squeezes down through the choke.

Edited by Bvamp

always remember bvamp is watching.... :)

yeh pretty much anyone thats seen my s12 the first time has stood with mouth agape for a good minute. BIG smiles after shooting it the first time of course. and you know the comments after: "holy s$%t, can I borrow it to shoot turkey or deer with? how much? want to sell it? whered ya get it?"

edit:

oh yeh, and the question I like the most of course, how can we forget,

"is that LEGAL?!?!?!?"

Edited by Bvamp

Drednaught:

From what I understand, shooting slugs is best with no choke, or mod. or cyl. If you got the weapon from CDNN it's (more than likely) full, no screw-in. Look on the left side of the gun. My Saiga 20 says 0.9, which is essentially a full choke. The gunsmiths will say, "don't shoot slugs in a full choke". But many in this forum do. With a 19" bbl, mine seems to work fine. My 22" Saiga 12 is a different story, but it's for HD anyway. Good luck, you have a unique and very cool weapon :) Sorry the picture is a little blurry, but you can see where to look for the choke info........forgot to add, I shoot 2 3/4" Winchester slugs.

Smokes

post-3-1102649738.jpg

Edited by Ol'smokie

yeh, about 1 bill figure..... remember you ahve to HAVE a choke tube once its threaded too......get a full ported choke tube that is rated for slugs. its really good general use. NOT XXfull, but regular FULL. ask your gunshop, they will be able to show you....

my 19" 12 gauge (note, not a 20 gauge), has an improved cylinder at 19" barrel. reciever is marked F(1,0) which means full. people tell me mine was a long one cut back to 18.5" to satisfy demand, but its not, I dont think. that is what the factory does. full is 20" imp. cyl. is 18". ignore the F(1,0) marking on the ejection side of the reciever.

you should be able to see a LOT of light bending down a lit bore with a fixed full choke. there will be only a LITTLE on something like what I have, and NONE on a no-choke or cylinder.

I dont shoot sabots out of my saiga. I WILL NOT EVER either. you are overloading the gas tube and whole recoil mechanism when you shoot them out of a saiga. I shoot them out of "another gun".

solids, yeh, if you dont ahve a rifled barrel shotgun, not rifled choke mind you, rifled BARREL, dont shoot solids. period. that is my one rule with shotguns. about everything else is fair game shell-wise.

solids == rifled or CYLINDER

you CANNOT use sabots or solids out of an IMP cyl. gun that is gas operated, or at least not for very long.....

go price a box of those shells, Ol'smokie....how much can YOU find them for for 5 shells?

try one on a piece of cordwood if you have a gun that will fire one.

FYI, I don't know your sighting system, but I would have a hard time hitting a microwave at 50 yards with the stock irons. I machined a custom mount and added a BSA red dot, and the thing shoots like a dream, less than 2" groups at 50, and on the paper no problem shooting standing up freehand.

yeh, my groups are larger than they could be because I DO use the iron sights. I cant find a mount that I am happy enough with yet to actually buy for the s12. not much to pick from in that line in my area. I guess I should just break down and buy one off the internet huh....