Has anyone added the pin to their front sight? How tough is it to add this feature?

My first thought was to drill it from the front to the back, drill it again larger from the back, add the pin & spring & then thread the back portion & add a set screw. Anyone have a better idea?

Oh, I guess I also need to know who has a good price on the parts. :dollar:

Edited by jhereg
Are you talking about the spring loaded detent pin, that keeps the muzzle device from unscrewing?

That's it. It appears the normal ones are pinned on from the side, so it would be a matter of drilling the hole from the front, and then drilling a cross hole so I can pin the detent in place. I'm coming from the AR world, so I have no clue what the official part name is for it.

Edited by jhereg

The hole won't go all the way from front to the back of the sight base. It's probably only about 1/2" deep or so. The muzzle device retaining pin and spring go in, and, as you surmised, a cross pin keeps it in. I don't know if you can buy those parts, as I've never tried. A lot of times, the hole in the front is already there, even if the parts aren't. In this case, the cross hole isn't usually drilled yet. You'd have to get the parts, drill the cross hole, and install.

Hello

K-Var usually sells the parts, but they're pretty proud of 'em.

Seems like Cobra mentioned he just used a ballpoint pen spring and a broken drill bit. The muzzle device holds it in place, once installed. Unless you plan on using the gun without the muzzle device sometimes, that approach seems pretty simple. Simple=better.

guido2 in Houston

Actually I did it just like the ones from the factory. You need to drill a crosspin hole that will intersect the hole drilled from the front, but only intersect the lower half (or upper half I guess if you wanted to go that route...).

You can use an old drill bit or a cut off nail for the pin. You need to grind away half the thickness in the middle so that it hits the crosspin and keeps it in if the brake is removed.

I've got some pics somewhere...hold on....

Ok I found these pics of when I took the detent out of my S-12 that holds the gas regulator in. It's the same principal...

post-1293-1209348220_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1209348794_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1209348806_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1209348826_thumb.jpg

Here's my new Tapco '74 style brake on the modified Ruskie Red's FSB...you can see the pin location.

post-1293-1209350257_thumb.jpg