My 2c on an AK and vert grip

Once I got my ultimak stuff in the mail I immediately put on an aimpoint and a KAC vert grip.

The very grip definitely helped me control recoil and muzzle rise.

Unfortunately I have two issues with it. For me, when I grip the front vert grip it feels like the gun is much more front heavy than it really is. If I go back to gripping the receiver and mag it feels much more balanced. Ontop of that if I have the vert grip close enough to the mag where its semi-comfortable I can no longer do admin reloads(hitting the mag lever with another mag). The mag will hit the vert grip and not drop quick enough or at all.

Just curious how others feel about vert grips on AKs?

Edited by jamesavery22

I like VFG's, but I don't have one on either of my Saigas, so I can't comment on the "rock & lock" interfering with the grip. How long is the KAC? Could you maybe shorten it a little?

If you have any pics of your Saiga with the Ultimak lower installed, can you post some pics? I've been looking into those for awhile now.

Its not so much the height/length of the grip, its that when the mag is knocked forward the floor plate smacks into the face of the grip and doesnt really fall loose from inside the receiver.

I've been taking lots of pics and will post them all once I finish a few things(thread the barrel and fix my canted FSB).

Its not so much the height/length of the grip, its that when the mag is knocked forward the floor plate smacks into the face of the grip and doesnt really fall loose from inside the receiver.

I've been taking lots of pics and will post them all once I finish a few things(thread the barrel and fix my canted FSB).

OK, I see. Sounds like a VFG won't work for me on an AK then, because I'd want it really close to the mag (or even shooting my AR, I always hold the mag well), which obviously wouldn't work out well.

Looking forward to the pics.

I can't spend time searching right now but I've seen several makes of those add-on adaptors that give you a short little section of picatinny at a 45 degree.

You can also locate one of those "stubby" vertical grips that are probably half the length of the regular versions.

I'll look tonight if you dont locate anything

Good luck

HarvKy

I can't spend time searching right now but I've seen several makes of those add-on adaptors that give you a short little section of picatinny at a 45 degree.

You can also locate one of those "stubby" vertical grips that are probably half the length of the regular versions.

Good luck

HarvKy

yankee hill machine company makes the 45s

Good luck

HarvKy

Here's the YHM 45* rail Leo mentioned

Here's a TD stubby grip . I was thinking of getting one of these for my M4gery.

Theres also always Krebs:

http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml

Anyone use one of those? Never tried holding a grip at an angle before.

That is a good idea thanks HarvKY and thanks for the link 22. It would allow admin reloads. Just don't know if I'd like the feel.

That is a good idea thanks HarvKY and thanks for the link 22. It would allow admin reloads. Just don't know if I'd like the feel.

The Krebs grip is the way to go. Get into a boxer's stance and you'll see how your wrist is naturally angled.

The Krebs grip is the way to go. Get into a boxer's stance and you'll see how your wrist is naturally angled.

Yep, thats why I mentioned it. When I get to that stage with one of mine, I plan to try it out.

I'm thinking it's from in my old memory banks of all the WW I/II? video and movies. What model machine gun was it that had the handle straight out to the side?

I'm having a complete brain lock. I'm sure some afficionados on here will answer quick.

Cheers, HarvKY

Some pics of how the Ultimak lower attaches to the rifle:

left side of the two sets of "C" clamps

2d964ap.jpg

to the right of the big hole is where the threads of the HG are. you can see the tip of the bolt

2e3cshk.jpg

vhqbe0.jpg

you can see the lever inside the HG and where its hinged

59x82w.jpg

hex bolt right next to the stock hole for the stock HG

1198qva.jpg

There are two sets of "C"s that clamp around the front of the barrel right behind the GasBlock. The front set of "C"s has no threading. The bold goes straight through and screws into the HG.

The rear set of "C"s does not bolt into the HG. The bottom "C" has threads and they just pinch around the barrel. There are pockets in both sides of the HG where the two sides of the "C"s sit in. Prevents the HG from moving back and forth.

The rear of the handguard is weird... There is a lever of sorts. After you put the HG in place there is a lip that sits inside the receiver(comes with little adapters so it fits stamped and milled). Its held there by the lever being pressed into the bottom of the front trunnion. The lever is wedged open/into the trunnion by a large bolt with a hex head.

Hope that answers anyone's questions :)

Yep, thats why I mentioned it. When I get to that stage with one of mine, I plan to try it out.

I'm thinking it's from in my old memory banks of all the WW I/II? video and movies. What model machine gun was it that had the handle straight out to the side?

I'm having a complete brain lock. I'm sure some afficionados on here will answer quick.

Cheers, HarvKY

I believe that was the Sten.

I too like the looks of the Ultimak hand guard so where can I find these? I was going to go with the UTG, but now after seeing the Ultimak I may have changed my mind. How much is the Ultimak? Is it American made?

The compact attaches in the same fashion:

http://www.ultimak.com/ACR2Compact.htm

you can see the two pockets where those "C" clamps rest on the inside of the HG. on the outside you can also see the threaded hole.

edit---

22, thanks for asking me to take pics without the covers :D I like the look better actually... But still have to use covers. I'm going to get some ladder style covers and see how that works out.

Edited by jamesavery22
I too like the looks of the Ultimak hand guard so where can I find these? I was going to go with the UTG, but now after seeing the Ultimak I may have changed my mind. How much is the Ultimak? Is it American made?

I was gonna recommend Blackjack Buffers, but it looks like they're sold out of Ultimak lower rails. Just google it, and you should be able to find 'em. They run around $200 for the lower rail, and yes, they're made in the good ol' USA.

22, thanks for asking me to take pics without the covers :D I like the look better actually... But still have to use covers. I'm going to get some ladder style covers and see how that works out.

No problem :D . I've always like the look of exposed rails. But I agree, some ladder type covers would like better, IMO.