Reason for a conversion?

I have several Saiga 7.62 x 39 rifles and a bunch of factory 10 round mags. I wasn't planning on converting any of them because I don't mind the stock trigger or lack of a pistol grip.

However, I read somewhere on a forum (may have been here) that the stock Saiga furniture and polymer factory mags are not as rugged as the AK furniture and mags that go along with a conversion.

Theoretically, it makes sense that a sporting rifle like a stock Saiga may not be as rugged as a mil spec AK, but wanted to know what all you Saiga experts thought.

Thanks,

my poly furniture (tapco) feels MUCH more sturdy than the original sporter stock. and the k-var is supposed to be even better. The G2 trigger is much lighter than the stock trigger mechanism.

oh, and most importantly for me, the ergos are MUCH improved after the conversion. before, i thought it was almost uncomfortable to shoot. now it's great (although I kind of wish I'd gotten the NATO length stock....the warsaw stock is like 1.25" shorter).

I'm really glad I did the conversion, and it was very easy to do.

Only thing I have left to do is to install my bullet guide, it just got here yesterday

my poly furniture (tapco) feels MUCH more sturdy than the original sporter stock. and the k-var is supposed to be even better. The G2 trigger is much lighter than the stock trigger mechanism.

oh, and most importantly for me, the ergos are MUCH improved after the conversion. before, i thought it was almost uncomfortable to shoot. now it's great (although I kind of wish I'd gotten the NATO length stock....the warsaw stock is like 1.25" shorter).

I'm really glad I did the conversion, and it was very easy to do.

Only thing I have left to do is to install my bullet guide, it just got here yesterday

I can back up the K-var claim. I had a tapco stock for a very short time after doing my conversion. The thing felt hollow as shit and didn't have a trap door. I bought a Nato length butt stock from K-Var and haven't looked back. It's a world of difference, and money too.

If you like your Saigas the way they are, by all means, keep them that way.

As far as factory Saiga furniture being less durable than "real" AK furniture, it probably depends on type/brand. I have the Tapco buttstock right now, and like taurus said, it has a "cheap" feel to it. I mean, it gets the job done, so I'm not too worried about it for now.

You say you don't mind the stock trigger, but have you shot one with a G2? It's like night and day.

If you like your Saigas the way they are, by all means, keep them that way.

As far as factory Saiga furniture being less durable than "real" AK furniture, it probably depends on type/brand. I have the Tapco buttstock right now, and like taurus said, it has a "cheap" feel to it. I mean, it gets the job done, so I'm not too worried about it for now.

You say you don't mind the stock trigger, but have you shot one with a G2? It's like night and day.

Yes, I have the G2 trigger on some of my other AKs - much nicer. But, I see the Saiga as a short range weapon so I can live with the weird stock trigger.

What's wrong with the original trigger, any way? My two friends and I were actually impressed with the trigger on my 7.62x39. We think that it's rather smooth.

I installed the skeleton stock and vented my hand-guard, but I am not really interested in a conversion. I didn't want an "AK" when I got this rifle. I like the "SVD" look that I have going right now and I find it to be pretty ergonomic. Plus, it's going to be used as a cheap, intermediate range deer rifle this Fall. I would feel a little ridiculous going hunting with something that looks like a military assault rifle.

I know that the 922r prohibits me from using 30 round mags and I don't mind that either. Those big "banana clips" just get in the way and make you waste more bullets at the range. Yet, in a SHTF situation, I can always quickly install a bullet a guide and use the standard AK mags. At that point, the 922r would be the least of my worries.

What's wrong with the original trigger, any way? My two friends and I were actually impressed with the trigger on my 7.62x39. We think that it's rather smooth.

I installed the skeleton stock and vented my hand-guard, but I am not really interested in a conversion. I didn't want an "AK" when I got this rifle. I like the "SVD" look that I have going right now and I find it to be pretty ergonomic. Plus, it's going to be used as a cheap, intermediate range deer rifle this Fall. I would feel a little ridiculous going hunting with something that looks like a military assault rifle.

I know that the 922r prohibits me from using 30 round mags and I don't mind that either. Those big "banana clips" just get in the way and make you waste more bullets at the range. Yet, in a SHTF situation, I can always quickly install a bullet a guide and use the standard AK mags. At that point, the 922r would be the least of my worries.

You could also install the bullet guide now and use smaller AK mags like the 5-round Chinese mags ($8 new from CDNN) with the ability to use higher capacity AK mags if needed.

i like having a adjustable stock with a nice pistol grip, plus the trigger is light and crisp, much better for targets and hunting, and of course the use of large cap mags and using cheap ak parts ect.

What's wrong with the original trigger, any way?

it sucks.

Try a G2 and you'll see the light of day. I can understand it if you don't want to switch over to PG formation, but God damn....the original FCG in a Saiga is terrible. At least throw down some ducats and get Dinzag's non-conforted FCG.