Best solvent to remove plastic wad buildup from barrel?

I know there are several commercial concoctions out there, but does anyone know what the active ingredients are? Is it lacquer thinner or acetone?

Someone said brake cleaner works too.

Of these, what should NOT be used on a moly coated gun?

Any regular gun cleaner will work. I run Hoppes with a bronze/copper 12ga brush... just a few strokes followed by a dry patch and the bore has a mirror shine. Chrome is much harder, so you don't have to worry about wear.

Edited by RDSWriter
Any regular gun cleander will work. I ran Hoppes with a bronze/copper 12ga brush... just a few strokes followed by a dry patch and the bore it has a mirror shine. Chrome is much harder, so you don't have to worry about wear.

Anyone else like to use CLP with the brush?

After mopping out the powder fouling with Hoppes, I usually soak the bore with WD-40 and get a big wad of 00 or 000 steel wool (tight in the chamber end - also soaked in WD-40) and push it through a few times with a wooden dowel. 5 to 7 passes of that will absolutely clear out any plastic wad fouling and do a fine job of shining up the bore at the same time. Wool of that fine of a coarsness is not harmful on chromed and unchromed bores...

Macbeau sends...