I would have to say the only reason that they put them in the order they did would be based on Length of service and numbers issued that explains the AK and the M-16's positions on the list. The Garand is a fine rifle but it didn't see the grand distribution of the AR variants or the AK and its variants.

-E

Those Military Channel top ten lists shows are so BS. The guys making the show are just making up the rating criteria as they go without any real research or knowledge. I saw saw several of their so called top 10 lists and stopped watching as it is just so much pro US equipment propaganda. The rifle list was probably the best as far as accuracy but still had lots of weak point. The FAL should have rated a lot higher and out placed several other rifles. The AK does still get top billing in my book though, :) .

Edited by Saigaczech
Those Military Channel top ten lists shows are so BS. The guys making the show are just making up the rating criteria as they go without any real research or knowledge. I saw saw several of their so called top 10 lists and stopped watching as it is just so much pro US equipment propaganda. The rifle list was probably the best as far as accuracy but still had lots of weak point. The FAL should have rated a lot higher and out placed several other rifles. The AK does still get top billing in my book though, :) .

I agree. I do not think the 1903 Springfield or the M14 should have been on there. That was complete bias on their part.

If you looked at the criteria they were using to judge I think they were looking at reliable combat rifles that were inovative and impacted the field of battle in thier time frame of use.

I would say the top 3 that have PROVEN their stuff are:

1) AK and variants= no explanation needed

2) Garand = The WAR HAMMER of WWII. Never before had the bulk of a major military carried a full-power semi-auto rifle into battle. Our boys were fighting with and along side all of the other major armies, who were mostly issued bolt-actions. This single gun had the largest impact on the greatest war ever IMHO.

3) SMLE and variants = The only period of time that the middle east, Asia and Africa experienced sustained peace and prosperity was under the guard of the SMLE. Dont forget India, the south pacific, china, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and every other inhospitable corner of the globe. This rifle maintained and expanded the British Empire from 1895-1960 so I would say its proven itself one of the greatest combat rifles ever. There are so many Lee-Enfield variants and they worked reliable from the jungles of Africa and Asia, to the sands of the middle east and north Africa. There were nicer and more accurate bolt actions in its day, but the SMLE was the AK-47 of bolt actions.

If that is the same show I saw several months ago it was an evaluation on the rifle's significance, not which rifle was the "World's Best combat rifle of all time." :lol:

The M1 Garand is a more significant rifle then the M14, but the M14 is a better rifle.

Edited by Azrial