Conversion question

DSC03744.JPG

I am new to rifles. I haven't shot one since my uncles WWII 30'06 in 1958. I didn't want an AK until I got one. (nobody is going to tell me what I can and acnt do, and the political situation doesn't look to bright) Now it has the potential of being my favorite weapon. (until I can come up with a Saiga 12)

I would like to convert this so I can use my 30 round mags and still use it for hunting with the ten round mags. I understand the stock on this model actually counts as two parts and I therefore have to exchange two parts. I actually like the trigger as it is (I only shoot DOA pistols and revolvers and like this kind of trigger) and don't want to change it, and I like the grip/stock and forearm on this model. I aim to change the gas piston as one part.

My question is, can I find an American made bolt? and/or bolt carrier? Is there a list of American made parts and their suppliers available somewhere on the net?

I am new to rifles. I haven't shot one since my uncles WWII 30'06 in 1958. I didn't want an AK until I got one. (nobody is going to tell me what I can and acnt do, and the political situation doesn't look to bright) Now it has the potential of being my favorite weapon. (until I can come up with a Saiga 12)

I would like to convert this so I can use my 30 round mags and still use it for hunting with the ten round mags. I understand the stock on this model actually counts as two parts and I therefore have to exchange two parts. I actually like the trigger as it is (I only shoot DOA pistols and revolvers and like this kind of trigger) and don't want to change it, and I like the grip/stock and forearm on this model. I aim to change the gas piston as one part.

My question is, can I find an American made bolt? and/or bolt carrier? Is there a list of American made parts and their suppliers available somewhere on the net?

That stock doesn't help you with 922r. It is a factory stock, from Russia. So as it stands, you have no parts towards compliance.

If you want to use 30 round mags in your rifle, you need to swap out 4 foreign parts, with US made parts.

As far as US made bolts/carriers, I think there was a company coming out with them soon (supposedly), but I'm pretty sure there aren't any on the market right now.

You can certainly still get that 'Dragunov' style stock when you convert. It's well worth changing out the trigger group, make quite the difference. It'll be more ergonomic as well, not being so darn far back like in the picture.

Edited by chris in va

That style of stock is the "gray area" and it doesn't count as a pistol grip -- so it still only counts as 1 part for 922R. So you're still at 14 parts total for compliance purposes.

If you want to use 30 rd mags without doing the full conversion, then about your only option will be to get some US-made mags (the new, polymer Surefires or Thermold/Master Moulder) and change out the gas piston. The magazines will count as 3 parts each and the piston will be #4.

Jim

That style of stock is the "gray area" and it doesn't count as a pistol grip -- so it still only counts as 1 part for 922R. So you're still at 14 parts total for compliance purposes.

If you want to use 30 rd mags without doing the full conversion, then about your only option will be to get some US-made mags (the new, polymer Surefires or Thermold/Master Moulder) and change out the gas piston. The magazines will count as 3 parts each and the piston will be #4.

Jim

Yeah, my 30 round mags are Thermold. But I did see a copy of a letter from the BATF to a fellow on this forum that specifically addressed the same stock that I have, and the BATF clearly stated that they count that stock as two parts, a stock and a grip, even though they are made as one piece. That means that I have to change something else besides the mags and piston.

There's probably an obvious answer, but how is a MAK-90 different than a Saiga like this? I know people talk about needing to add american parts to the MAK-90 in order to legally convert it to pistol grip configuration, but no one is calling foul for using 30-round foreign AK mags in a MAK-90 in factory configuration, or are they? To me they're both double-stack thumbhole non-threaded foreign-built AKs. Are people who use foreign 30-rounders on a MAK-90 breaking the law?

That doesn't make any sense. Those stocks come from the factory on these rifles. If they were counting them as a stock and pistol grip it would not be importable because of its non sporting nature.

As I understood the letter, they didn't count it as pistol grip and stock, they just counted the stock as 2 parts instead of one.

That doesn't make any sense. Those stocks come from the factory on these rifles. If they were counting them as a stock and pistol grip it would not be importable because of its non sporting nature.

As I understood the letter, they didn't count it as pistol grip and stock, they just counted the stock as 2 parts instead of one.

OK, but if they're counting it as 2 parts then it would still be a 922r violation. Too many foreign parts. Unless they're not counting it as a non sporting item. I just realized something though, why the hell am I trying to figure out what the government's thinking?

OK...

Maybe it would help to work through a parts list?

List the parts that are mostly likely foreign and cannot be replaced(due to cost or anything else) :

(1) Receiver

(2) Barrels

(4) Mounting blocks, trunnion

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

thats 8 foreign parts so far...

Parts you can easily change out(relatively) :

(9) Gas pistons

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstock

(16) Pistol grips you dont have one of these yet but if you change the buttstock you'd probably have to get one.

(17) Forearms, handguards

So out of the second list you can only keep 2 parts.

You said you liked the trigger and the stock. So keep 11 and 15.

That leaves:

(9) Gas pistons

(12) Hammers

(14) Disconnectors

(17) Forearms, handguards

Which I actually think you can all change over to US parts...

For the Gas piston get a tapco gas piston and follow the instructions.

For the lower hand guard get any US made one that you like (saiga specific galil would be easiest although I dont like the look :) )

The only real work you'd have to do is the hammer and disconnector. Get a Tapco single hook G2 Fire Control Group and you can easily replace the hammer. Have to grind a little off one leg if you want to keep the BHO lever. The stock "trigger"(what actually holds the hammer) and the disconnector are different from the standard AK FCG namely the Tapco G2.

You can see from these pics:

Saiga223_rebuild07.jpgSaiga223_rebuild09.jpg

source: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_7.htm

I dont know if that step on the back of the stock disconnector does anything... Maybe someone else can chime in?

You'd definitely have to hack up the shim that goes through the "trigger" and disconnector in order to get the old disconnector out. Luckily the Tapco G2 comes with a shim that replaces it. I didn't try so I dont know if the shims are the exact same size. Worse case you'd have to ream the hole in the stock trigger just a little.

Hope that helped any. Take pics of whatever you do :)

Edited by jamesavery22