hey you 20" owners...

I have the 20" barrel model (converted). I havn't had much of a chance to try it out up to this point, just wanted to know, some of you that have had yours awhile, how do you like it? Any complaints or long term problems with the extra barrel length (accuracy/whip issues)?

I tried a tasco red dot on mine with a side mount, but tyring to zero it i couldnt seem to hit a campaign sign at 50 yards, I had the barrel pointed so high just to see the dot. I adjusted the elevation to the max each way and it seemed not to matter :rolleyes: I'm thinking of the williams peep sight now, would appreciate a review on those also.

I use nothing but irons on all my saigas... I get decent groups with them that way... I have 2 20" X39 models... both will do 2 inch groups at 50 yards with irons all day long. :up:

I have the 20" barrel model (converted). I havn't had much of a chance to try it out up to this point, just wanted to know, some of you that have had yours awhile, how do you like it? Any complaints or long term problems with the extra barrel length (accuracy/whip issues)?

I tried a tasco red dot on mine with a side mount, but tyring to zero it i couldnt seem to hit a campaign sign at 50 yards, I had the barrel pointed so high just to see the dot. I adjusted the elevation to the max each way and it seemed not to matter :rolleyes: I'm thinking of the williams peep sight now, would appreciate a review on those also.

Who's campaign sigh! :lolol: Just kidding, don't answer that here. Bet they make great targets though!

(Sorry, I really have no 20" info to offer.)

I have a x39 in 20". I haven't shot a 16" so I can't compare. I like the 20" fine, however I'm trying to improve the accuracy. Mine had an aftermarket side rail scope mount on it so I mounted an old 1x4 scope. Off sandbags my best group was 1-1/4" at 50 yards with Winchester white box. All the russian ammo went from 2-1/4 to 4". (8 to 10 round groups). My dies should be here tomorrow so I'm going to try some reloads.

Vorpal

• 2 weeks later...

I just took my converted 20" saiga 762x39 out this evening (just got it yesterday)

Nothing i did was scientific and the wind was blowing a steady 20mph with gust to 40 so it wasn't ideal circumstances......

But best i could tell it didn't shoot any diffrent than my other 2 AK's.

I put 200rnds threw it and it ran flawless......

I bought this rifle with the idea of making it look similar to an rpkish thing or something.............. need to find out what bipod will work on the barrel?

Your question is a good one. I have yet to read a meaningful dialog on 16" vers 20". I have two 16" Saiga's, 7.62X39 and .223. I ordered a 20" today in .223. Hopefully I can get it to shoot better. I will do a Saiganov setup on the 20", put a good higher power variable scope and work to find the right ammo. I'll feedback the outcome. It should be fun. (by the way, a decent scope on the 20" looks right and makes sense, I don't like what a big scope looks like on the 16" they are better as combat rifles) I will do conversions on the 16's as they are still stock as well. Use the 10 round mags on the 20" unconverted rifle cause they will look right on it.

Keep up the fight!

I know that "in theory" the 20" barrel should generate more velocity out of the muzzle, and accuracy due to increased sight radius. But, I have NOT found this to be the case at all with accuracy? In fact, my most accurate x39s are 16 inchers.

The 20 inchers are heavier and more cumbersome to handle, with no advantages over the 16 inchers. the 20 inchers also look kind of goofy with AK handguards IMHO. It is for these reasons that I no longer purchase the 20" models.

Some of the 20" saiganov builds in .308 look cool though. Just some awesome long builds on the .308 page, and that heavy barrel may prevent a lot of the barrel whip seen with the 20" x39s.