im not sure exactly what the difference between the different variants of these rifles. can someone fill me in on this? id do the research but im now working 6 days a week 11 hours a day and have limited time on the internets. im wondering where i can get my hands on one for cheap because Gunbroker is a joke for the most part! can someone point me in the right direction?

THANK YOU

Well, the Cetme and G3 are nonidentical twins. Both are descended from the original Cetme rifle. They use delayed blowback and a roller locking system ( very intricate ).

The FAL is designed by Fabrique Nationale in Belgium and uses a totally different mechanism. It uses a gas piston for operation.

Tips:

~Century Arms CETME's are a pain in the ass to take apart and work on, because nothing was made to spec and nothing works the way it should. They shouldn't require tools to take down, but because they suck, you need tools and you'll scratch the gun all up trying.

~JLD PTR G3's are nice. They work, they're just not FALs.

~G3/CETME's don't have a last round bolt hold, can be finnicky, require timely cleaning or they fail to eject, have a chamber that is impossible to see (and clean) without a flashlight as it is hidden far from the ejection port, etc.

~The CETME's have a crappy push button magazine release in this country because the pin that the usual flapper release uses is illegal to incorporate onto the gun because if they had it, they would look like they could use a full auto trigger group (they still couldn't though, gun laws just suck). That area of the receiver ends up looking stupid, and mag changes take longer than any gun I know of.

~FAL's are much better than the G3/CETME platform, I'd say they're better in every way imaginable.

~DSA FAL's are fantastic.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=25136

I bought one, and I don't have any money. It topped my "OH SHIT GOTTA GET THIS BEFORE NOVEMBER" list.

~The CETME's have a crappy push button magazine release in this country because the pin that the usual flapper release uses is illegal to incorporate onto the gun because if they had it, they would look like they could use a full auto trigger group (they still couldn't though, gun laws just suck). That area of the receiver ends up looking stupid, and mag changes take longer than any gun I know of.

More Tips:

1. If you have a Cetme (or G3) built from a parts kit, the standard factory mag release can be installed at that time ( legally ). Century didn't want to do it, because it takes time and precision ( drunk monkeys are not known for the latter). You can see where the original mag release is supposed to be on this airsoft example:

g3sasr8wellairsoftvl3.jpg

2. Century Cetmes (or G3s) can go from "works 100% (rare)" to "mildly annoying" to "downright dangerous". Century is known to grind down the parts that affect where you measure to check for "safe conditions", so that you 'think' it's safe.

Edited by nalioth
If almost everyone has such a bad opinion about Century, how do they manage to stay in business? O_o
They are the largest importer of military surplus firearms and other militaria in the United States.

Their business of selling guns they build is just a very small part of their overall operation.

what do you guys think about Atlantic Firearms stuff? like the "G-3 STYLE .308 Precision Target Rifle by JLD PTR91 F with Flash Hider"...where do i go about finding something reasonable? this is the next buy after i get a S-12...im sick of waiting and looking for one!!! what is a reasonable price on a FAL? looks loike the going rate on Gunbroker is about $1000 or so...and usualy they are over priced....help me here....

what do you guys think about Atlantic Firearms stuff? like the "G-3 STYLE .308 Precision Target Rifle by JLD PTR91 F with Flash Hider"...where do i go about finding something reasonable? this is the next buy after i get a S-12...im sick of waiting and looking for one!!! what is a reasonable price on a FAL? looks loike the going rate on Gunbroker is about $1000 or so...and usualy they are over priced....help me here....

Atlantic Firearms is a retailer of fine firearms. Having their name all over their website does not have anything to do with their inventory. They sell very nice firearms and they sell dog turds ( just my opinion ).

It is up to you to know the difference.

JLD is top tier among manufacturers.

Edited by nalioth

I personally never got on with CETME/G3/HK91's for various Ergo problems. Fal's have a better layout (in my opinion) and are probably one of the best looking battle rifles you will ever own - very solid and old school.

But...... If you are trying to keep cost down and are not looking at originals you will have to do some research on built up Fal's, who built it, and on what receiver is everything!