My understanding is that "BP" is flat, no elevated.........so teh target can be gained quickly.

But then....How many people her actually practice live fire in standing, kneeling and prone positions...Not just sitting in a chair at the range. (Even the Law Enforcement guys look at me funny when I practice kneeling and prone.)

But it sure would suck to have to fire from that position and never had practiced it before!

You current Enlisted guys correct me if I'm wrong.

i'm referring to the position on the sights themselves.

it's my understanding that on ak's its marked with a letter/symbol instead of a number.

this is the standard placement for the sights.

my saiga has no such letter/marking on the rear sight leaf.

The Saiga has no marking,(Designed to be a civilian "hunting" weapon.) just the 100, 200, 300 marking. The"zero" elevation should be right. When firing at 30 -50 yards (Which is the primary combat engagement range.), zero elev. functions for me.

where exactly is the "battle position" on the ak iron sights?

my saiga still has the stock rear sight leaf (marked 1-3).

is the battle position at 1?

or is it clicked all the way back where it sits a little elevated?

All the way back and elevated is my understanding.

should be the same elevation as the 300m setting or there abouts.

The military sight leafs usually have some sort of lettering nearest the sight notch, on the left side, sometimes in Cyrillic, and that is the battle position (yes, about 300m.)

My understanding is that "BP" is flat, no elevated.........so teh target can be gained quickly.

But then....How many people her actually practice live fire in standing, kneeling and prone positions...Not just sitting in a chair at the range. (Even the Law Enforcement guys look at me funny when I practice kneeling and prone.)

But it sure would suck to have to fire from that position and never had practiced it before!

You current Enlisted guys correct me if I'm wrong.

I almost always shoot standing up with every rifle I have.

I shoot a lot of my older WWII era riles from the kneeling position. Especially my SMLE.

i always shoot standing or crouched, sitting in a chair with the rifle on the table just seems wierd to me. im at the range to practice shtf not competition shooting so thats why i shoot that way. ill try prone next time.

EXACTLY..............Thats why I like kneeling and prone...........I'm a much smaller target!

from the ULTIMAK website:

http://www.ultimak.com/AKST.htm

"Both the AK and the SKS have a rear sight position (elevation slide all the way to the rear) intended for use as an all-purpose "battle position", which is equal to the 300 meter setting farther forward on the slide."

tritium was correct. thank you sir!

any ideas why the saiga sight leafs didn't get the letter or cyrillic marking stamped?

any ideas why the saiga sight leafs didn't get the letter or cyrillic marking stamped?

The Saigas, being 'sporter' models, would not have a 'battle position' on their sight leaves, I guess.

i have always shot mine with the leaf "level" or at "0" and its accurate for me, i shoot standing, kneeling, behind objects and its about accurate as your gonna get for a saiga....good gun, definatly "battle" worthy if your using proper mags ;)

so a "hunting" carbine would never find itself needing to "battle"?

Think point being it's contrary to a sporting/hunting rifle to come with a fixed distance 300m combat position unless you intend on engaging your deer/whatever at that distance only. Figure you can shoot for sport at closer distances since the animal likely won't be shooting back. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure we have discussed the uselessness of this weapon at 300 meters...............Wasn't it designed for much closer quarters? 30 to 50 yards , like the AR/M 16?

You are kidding correct?

I mean ak's aren't precision rifles but i wouldn't go so far as to say they are useles at 300 meters(if your talking what the weapon was designed for)...... and AR's are a far cry from limited to 30-50yrds.....

Like some of the other guys i shoot prone standing etc

I guess they just didn't bother engraving the top portion of the sights on the saiga or did it for sporting issues...... all the notches are on the bottom just like my other ak's .... seems strange sense that seems like it would take a seperate run of parts.....

Edited by acman145acp
I'm pretty sure we have discussed the uselessness of this weapon at 300 meters...............Wasn't it designed for much closer quarters? 30 to 50 yards , like the AR/M 16?

I think you will find that both types of rifles are generally on at 300m if they are on at 50m. Also both the 5.56 x 45 and the 7.62 x 39 generate sufficient energy at 300m to be quite effective. The 5.56 may be a little more "surgical" from an accuracy standpoint but both will get the job done. By the way new guy here so feel free to squat all over my opinion.

Hi Doc. Three guesses who I am. LOL

Edited by Otto's Dog
so to be truly authentic and have an accurate conversion, we should replace the non-threatening hunting rear sight with a "real" AK sight? that's what I'm hearing here....

thoughts?

I'd say so, and depending on whichh type of AK you have, it'd be either an 800m or 1000m sight leaf.

where exactly is the "battle position" on the ak iron sights?

my saiga still has the stock rear sight leaf (marked 1-3).

is the battle position at 1?

or is it clicked all the way back where it sits a little elevated?

[/quote

have you got your question answered?

"battle" sight position means pulled ALL THE WAY BACK. It is designed to be able to hit somewhere on the man-size target at 100 yards.