Ventilated Forearm

Gentlemen:

For those of you who have drilled the handguard to add elongated ventilation holes to aid in cooling the gas piston chamber and barrel, what diameter bit or hole was used?

Also, has anyone created a site providing advice on this like the one on converting the trigger mechanism and adding a pistol grip?

Thanks for the info.

Wolverine

i agree, that little bit of air that gets in there does a lot......for any weapon....hence the "baaaaaaad part" category in the AWB (NY law here now, that old AWB, why is it nowhere else but cali again?)

Thanks for the info. guys. Yes, Krebs adverstises the forearm and buttstock pair for $35 versus the meer $110 that EAA wants. I am guessing that

Krebs has stripped them from Saigas they have converted for customers.

Wolverine

Hello, I first attempted the vent mod by clamping the foregrip down and running a mill across where I wanted the holes. This did not work at high or low speeds as the synthetic tends to melt at high speeds and chew up the stock with chips that were milled off at low speeds. On the second attempt (and after reading EVERY single post on this site) I simply measured the distance between the barrel and gas piston to get the proper width and calculated an even spacing for the holes. This looked EXACTLY like the picture jon posted. Then I used a punch at the corners, drilled the holes and dremmeled the space between. You will most likely have to file or use a razor knife to clean up the edges. A Sharpie marker works great to color in the edges black. Heres a pic of mine. And like most guys, I didnt focus on it being pretty (although it looks cooler I think!) I measured and cut to take as much off as possible without exposing the barrel or gas piston. I find that it helps to review the many, many informational posts on this site. As many questions have already come up and have been responded to by many people who have attempted mods in many different ways. I hope this helps.

post-5-1103833048.jpg