Why would you need AK sights or H&K sightsfor a S-12

I figure a shotguns blast radius is pretty wide so why would you need those extra fancy sights on the 12,are having those sights on there really going to help your aim with a big shotgun?

Of course not!

We all use them cuz they make our dicks hard.

I figure a shotguns blast radius is pretty wide so why would you need those extra fancy sights on the 12,are having those sights on there really going to help your aim with a big shotgun?

Of course not!

Ok

I figure a shotguns blast radius is pretty wide so why would you need those extra sights on the 12,are having those sights on there really going to help your aim with a big shotgun?

You haven't fired very many shotguns, have you.

I suggest you buy one and try shooting it at various distances with different loads, then you will understand.

Of course not!

Tell the truth........., its not the sights.........., its shooting big ol' deer slugs. Making big holes in little things.

You need to aim slugs some how and a big ol post at the end of your barrel gives you a longer sight length. Don't the girls ever mention length.....

besides if I'm gonna have an evil black shotgun, I want it to look as evil as possible. :devil:

Please don't mention your 3rd member or the fact that it gets hard, Bob Ash gets extremely sensitive about this for some reason!

First, I am not sure that some are aware of how wide the pattern of a 12 gauge shotgun is. Taking one out and shooting it at 7,15, 30 and 100 yards at a large piece of cardboard will do a lot to make one familiar with the capabilities of the gun. The bottom line is that the pattern is not near as large at close range as many think!

Shotguns are designed for the engagement of multiple, fast moving targets. As such they are intended to be pointed, not aimed. Modern combat shotgun usage has made an effort to split the difference, due to improvements in the shells, changes in engagement technique and the relative slowness and larger side of human targets.

In my opinion many sighting systems that are currently being used on shotguns tip the scale to far toward rifle-like aiming, with it's subsequent loss in speed. For example I am not a big fan of scopes on shotguns, but I kind of like the little Docter Red Dot sights.

There are a few advantages of the longer sight radius as offered by by dust cover mounted HK and AR style sights. Greater precision and faster sight acquisition. The longer sight radius makes sight misalignment more obvious to the eye and correction quicker.

Peeps are a great idea as the eye tends to self center in the rear peep. But the normal rear sight position of the AK being forward of receiver makes this a a fairly slow system for most shooters, the distance taxing the eye's self centering ability. The Mojo Sight is an example of this, it can be quite precise, but will be slower for most.

Personally I believe that a Ghost ring mounted on the rear dust cover and a tower front sight would be the ideal system. We have several towers, but I have yet to find a good ghost ring rear for the Saiga. I would guess that an HK or AR rear on its largest notch would be as close as I have seen.

Of course any sight mounted on the rear dust cover soon seems to develop repeatability problems as the covers fit to the receiver wears.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Azrial

slugs aim better with better sights, and some of us use the Saiga to shoot skeet. The sight picture offered above the gas tube rather than the barrel is kinda odd, atleast for me. If you look over the top and put the barrel on target you would be way too high. It takes some getting used to, and practice makes it better, of course. The wonder of technology has given us the red dots to put on the bird to take care of this. Those of us who choose to go low tech put the ak sights on so the front sight ring makes a big ring to put the clay in. They also look more cool authentic like.

I figure a shotguns blast radius is pretty wide so why would you need those extra sights on the 12,are having those sights on there really going to help your aim with a big shotgun?

You haven't fired very many shotguns, have you.

I suggest you buy one and try shooting it at various distances with different loads, then you will understand.

No

It's a myth that shotguns are just point and spray type weapons. Sights help a lot.

That said...from another standpoint, some of us really enjoy converting them to look as much like their grandfather, the AK-47, as possible. Part of that is putting the right kind of sights on it.

Because they look cool!

2006_0218ShootingTrip0016.jpg

No seriously, you need sights on a shotgun for anything farther out than QCB.

This is a pattern from an 8" S-12 like the one above, at 25 yards It's about 10".

12-12-06_1745.jpg