Finally did my Saiga Conversion!!!

Hello, I finally!! got the nerve up to convert my saiga. I started at 10:30 PM and just now finishing at 1:00 am. I basically used all my parts from my ak clone to put into the Saiga and I am hoping that it is ok to do that. They are all USA parts. When i put my pistol grip on i didnt screw down my trigger guard so hoping that is ok. Any thoughts thanks

Edited by Xpur3L0g1cX
Hello, I finally!! got the nerve up to convert my saiga. I started at 10:30 PM and just now finishing at 1:00 am. I basically used all my parts from my ak clone to put into the Saiga and I am hoping that it is ok to do that. They are all USA parts. When i put my pistol grip on i didnt screw down my trigger guard so hoping that is ok. Any thoughts thanks

Sweet, congrats! Any pics? How did you handle the spot weld on the trigger guard plate? Was that the most difficult step of the conversion? 2 1/2 hours is not a very long time compared to researching for months about the conversion! I was planning on drilling a new hole to bolt on the front of the trigger guard, Just like Cross-Conn's website shows. Did you use a hand drill or drill press? A rotary tool or hand files? Which kind of bits? Thanks......

Sweet, congrats! Any pics? How did you handle the spot weld on the trigger guard plate? Was that the most difficult step of the conversion? 2 1/2 hours is not a very long time compared to researching for months about the conversion! I was planning on drilling a new hole to bolt on the front of the trigger guard, Just like Cross-Conn's website shows. Did you use a hand drill or drill press? A rotary tool or hand files? Which kind of bits? Thanks......

It looks like the saiga 308 trigger guard will hold good with no screws attaching it to the receiver-the front portion will be held by the mag release assembly, and the back portion will be held by the pistol grip front and top groove when the Pistol grip is tightened down,...But, for me personally, I will take the time to do it right by screwing both ends down...since there are no rivets or spot welds to mess with this time, I will use my drill press...

I used a drill press and a 3/16 titanium coated drill on the trigger guard spot welds. Make sure you are centered, and drill just enough to "weaken" the weld, probably no more than 1 mm deep. I then used a flathead screwdriver and a hammer to chisel it off the receiver.

I'm still waiting on my FCG to show up in the mail. I have painted the bottom of the receiver and is baking in the sun while i'm typing this.

Thanks, the main tool i used was the dremel with just the orange grind stones that was the easy part, the hardest part was the spot welds and in order to get that it took me about an hour using a metal cutting wheel to get all the welds. I could hardly hold the dremel when it was finished bc it was to hot there was smoke comming out of it. The trigger guard I just tucked under the mag release and then just screwed in the pistol grip and the grip went forward and held it on there. I will take it down to my welder friend as soon as I get a chance. Today I took it apart and cold blued it as well. Looks really nice and feels alot better. Once I got it field stripped and removed the trigger group I was off on my own. I was kinda amazed at how easy it was would be alot easier if it wasnt for those spot welds. Now to order 20rders. Should I go with FBMG over surefire?

Edited by Xpur3L0g1cX

Ok just got back from getting the trigger guard welded. Had it flux welded and that thing aint goin no where. Have to clean it up again and reblue ill post some pics asap. One thing the FCG has some side to side play in it im guessing where the bolt hold open was supposed to go. Was I supposed to put that back in or is the side to side ok?

Edited by Xpur3L0g1cX

I wiped out several drill bits trying to drill out the spotweld on the trigger guard. I ended up using a 1/8" carbide burr for a dremel in a drill press. I bent the front of the trigger guard over backwards and put a screw through the hole I drilled and the hole in the receiver behind the mag release.

• 2 months later...