DPHArms no thread muzzle brakes.

Ok So I have been on the no thread muzzle brake rant for a short while now. I have talked with Scott Gulledge of DPHArms quite a bit after meeting him at a local gun show. He had in the works a set screw type brake that looked good but was not up to his and others high standards. Well Scott and the guys have done it again. I just received a new NO SET SCREW brake from him and this one is going to be perfect. The new brake is a collet fitted design. To deal with the variance in the Saigas front sight block they have included two different sizes. The ones that came with my kit measured .70" and .72" and closed down to .65" and .68" but remember they can open up more if needed. If by chance they don't close down far enough just carefully take either a file or angle grinder and take a small bit more out of the opening. Basically you would unscrew the brake put the nut end on the barrel slide the collet that is tightest to your barrel in place and then screw the brake back together. You then tighten the brake with a 7/8 wrench and a screw driver inserted through the vents, or vent depending on design. On a 74 style brake you might be able to use another wrench across the flat, I don't have one to try. You would get this as tight as you can to ensure a tight fit. After all of this your done. A much tighter fit than the set screw style would ever bring and far less likely to fly off when shooting. The only thing that I could see as being a problem with this is that the nut might come loose after shooting and the best remedy for that is lock-tite. So if I can get my set screw brake off of my barrel I will install the new one and give a thorough testing. Here are some pictures see what you guys think. By the way this is a 7.62x39 Saiga but Scott tells me that they will fit the .223 Saigas.

Also while talking with Scott he informed me that the 74 style would help to control muzzle rise but that it would be slightly less then the real deal. This is due to the fact that the chamber area of the brake is reduced so that it will fit on the barrel.

post-10974-1213486355_thumb.jpg

post-10974-1213486373_thumb.jpg

post-10974-1213486453_thumb.jpg

I don't know when they are going to put them out. Soon would be my guess. I will try to give Scott a call on Monday to give him some input that I have gotten and ask him when they are expected.

I'm so excited about these that I am finding it hard to have patience. I truly belive these are going to be a big hit. We have one in the hands of a MAJOR firearms distributor and we are waiting to hear from him on his torture test of these. We are VERY confident that we have the correct design now but I still want him to fire several hundred rounds through these before we have the shop make a large run of these. Hopefully we will hear from him by mid week and we can turn the shop loose on these and have them on the site before July.

Scott

I don't know when they are going to put them out. Soon would be my guess. I will try to give Scott a call on Monday to give him some input that I have gotten and ask him when they are expected.

I'm so excited about these that I am finding it hard to have patience. I truly belive these are going to be a big hit. We have one in the hands of a MAJOR firearms distributor and we are waiting to hear from him on his torture test of these. We are VERY confident that we have the correct design now but I still want him to fire several hundred rounds through these before we have the shop make a large run of these. Hopefully we will hear from him by mid week and we can turn the shop loose on these and have them on the site before July.

Scott

Scott what do you think of something like this: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...st&p=239523

Hey Scott look at the topic about these on the 7.62 forum. There was a very good suggestion about making a thread adapter the same way so you can use 24mmX1.5mm brakes. The one that I would like to see is the Krinkov brake, but I just like the looks of it no other real reason. I had a piece of round bar that was the correct size so I put the one you sent me on it and tried to pull it off several ways and I could only get it off if it were put on finger tight. Put it on with a wrench and you could probably tow a car with it. Even after loosening the nut up it was very hard to remove. Good job on the design.

Ok So I have been on the no thread muzzle brake rant for a short while now. I have talked with Scott Gulledge of DPHArms quite a bit after meeting him at a local gun show. He had in the works a set screw type brake that looked good but was not up to his and others high standards. Well Scott and the guys have done it again. I just received a new NO SET SCREW brake from him and this one is going to be perfect. The new brake is a collet fitted design. To deal with the variance in the Saigas front sight block they have included two different sizes. The ones that came with my kit measured .70" and .72" and closed down to .65" and .68" but remember they can open up more if needed. If by chance they don't close down far enough just carefully take either a file or angle grinder and take a small bit more out of the opening. Basically you would unscrew the brake put the nut end on the barrel slide the collet that is tightest to your barrel in place and then screw the brake back together. You then tighten the brake with a 7/8 wrench and a screw driver inserted through the vents, or vent depending on design. On a 74 style brake you might be able to use another wrench across the flat, I don't have one to try. You would get this as tight as you can to ensure a tight fit. After all of this your done. A much tighter fit than the set screw style would ever bring and far less likely to fly off when shooting. The only thing that I could see as being a problem with this is that the nut might come loose after shooting and the best remedy for that is lock-tite. So if I can get my set screw brake off of my barrel I will install the new one and give a thorough testing. Here are some pictures see what you guys think. By the way this is a 7.62x39 Saiga but Scott tells me that they will fit the .223 Saigas.

Also while talking with Scott he informed me that the 74 style would help to control muzzle rise but that it would be slightly less then the real deal. This is due to the fact that the chamber area of the brake is reduced so that it will fit on the barrel.

Does anyone have a pic of the '74 style brake? What about slightly increasing the length to increase the chamber area? I do like the idea of the flexibility inherent in just having a threaded end. It would be hard to guage demand though.

• 2 months later...

Oh HELL YES! I won't have to have my barrel threaded! I'll definitely be getting one of these.

For the record, remember to use blue Loctite on the threads, NOT red! If you use red, you'll never be able to remove it again without the aid of a torch, but if you use blue you can break it with sufficient mechanical force.

Edited by Mike the Wolf