Anyone reload for their Saiga 12?

I picked up a used Lee Load-All 2 reloading press today for $20 plus some empty hulls. A lot of bad stuff is said about this press but at least it will get me started for just $20. I've got a lucky 2003 Saiga that will cycle everything on the heavy gas setting, even cheap wal-mart Winchester AA. I will be primarily reloading for 3 gun competitions and for fun, not a huge volume. What do I want to load? Should I load #7.5 shot and 1 1/8 dram? Or should I go to heavier shot like a #6 for steel targets? Just wondering if I should stick with what works or try heavier shot and/or a lighter load (the recoil is nothing as is right now, super soft).

Any help for a reloading newbie would be great.

I still have my original Load-All (I) and there's nothing wrong with these things at all. Sure MEC's are a lot better, but the Load-All's work.

I use mine these days just for loading slugs & buck loads. I cast my own (Lee) 1 oz. slugs and load them into WAA hulls in a WAA12 (white) wad on top of 36.5 gns. of Accurate #5 and a Win. 209 primer. I also load 9 00B pellets (Hornady) in a WAA12R (red) wad, all other data the same. My Saiga is a 14" SBS (Tromix) and needs full power loads to cycle.

When I used to load "normal" shot loads I just used whatever data is in the many available shotshell reloading manuals. Dang, bagged shot is spendy anymore, I saw a bag of #7-1/2 at my local gun store for $60.00!

I remember reading somewhere in the past month that most semi-auto shotguns are most reliable with 1-1/8 dram (or larger) loadings. :unsure:

I (personally) have used the Lyman shotshell book recipe of 1-1/8 drams of #6 lead shot in a Remington STS hull (with Remington SPS primer (I think?)), with Rem. Figure 8 wad and 17.(5?) grains of IMR 700X powder with great success in my Saiga-12 so far. :up:

Empty Remington STS hulls seem to be the easiest to find at gun shows I think. :super:

actually, gaddis, a good birdshot load is 1 1/8th oz. and the powder varies, as does the wad length.

I have had a lot of success with a lee load all, and it is a very good place to start, and really is all you need, if you are a casual reloader, or just starting out.

hartzpad - the load-all has a VERY good shot charger for 1 1/8 oz loads in 7.5 (skeet) shot, and is pretty accurate for that load. however, if you want to load dove and quail loads, #6 or larger, you should experiment a little, in all aspects of your loading, to get exactly what you want. Just watch in how much you vary the defined loads, or you will wind up with a very VERY sore shoulder, or gun that is angry with you. I recommend, that once you bolt the thing to the bench, that you make a small vibrating device that attaches closely enough to your press, so as to allow settling of your charges, once you dealve into your own loads, to allow consistancy. I used to use a hammer and tap the base of the loader, at each stage once or twice, to ensure similar charging and loading for each shell. It really depends on how critical you want to be on your loads. I can tell you that you do not want to mix up your bushings.....I made that mistake and got a bloody nose from it, one time, and was very relieved to find the gun hadnt been damaged (old model 12 winchestor pump took the overload I made on accident no problem). I would recommend a high brass charge on the 1 1/8th oz shot charge for your steels. just ensure that the crimping is perfect and doesnt pop open, or start to, and you should be ok.....you may have to experiment with wads to get it right. Like I said, I loaded some really heavy loads in 7.5's that would make a few guns cry....they worked well, although not on my shoulder. I did not have a saiga then, however......