I really have two gun projects going on right now, my S-12 is evolving into the competition tool I envisioned it to be, the trouble is that my AR project is nearly complete also. Both projects are competing for my limited funds.

As most of you know the Pan America Shotgun Championships are coming up soon well I say soon it will be in 2010 I want my Saiga 12 in final configuration soon.

Last round bolt lock

Magazine well

Optic

Mag drop extension

In order to get my AR done, I need the entire upper and an ACE stock of course an optic I wanted to use the same optic on both log guns. Looks like a 2moa C-more.

With the Saiga project I need to do both my son's Saiga and mine for things like the magazine well and last round bolt lock adding to the cost.

Should I

A. do up the Saigas

B. Finish up the AR then work on the Saigas it's not like the match is next weekend.

Topmaul.jpg

Finish the AR. Best place to get parts from is Model 1 Sales (www.model1sales.com). Everyone has their opinions but I have built a rediculous amount of AR's the last few years and they always have what I need and at a reasonable price. I know everyone has their favorite brand (Bushmaster, Rock River, Colt), but if you are building the gun it is a "shooter" and not a safe queen. Model 1 uses ER Shaw barrels and my lightweight .223 shoots a 3/4 inch group at 100yds with my reloads and I can hit clay pigeons at 268 yds with a 4.5x optic. As long as the barrel is good and the bolt/carrier/trigger function flawless then everything else is just icing. I do not recommend using the same optic on both guns. My setup on my rifle has a 1.5-4.5x21mm Bushnell scope which allows me to use the gun on 1.5 for close range like a reddot is used or I can turn to 4.5 and hit reasonably long accurate shots. The key is the small (21mm)objective. The small objective on a low magnification scope gives you more field of view at distance( 1.5x is close to 100yds wide at 100yds distance with the 21mm where a 32mm is about 65-70yds wide). Millet, Bushnell, Simmons, Barska, and others all make a variation of this scope for $150 or less and I have yet to have problems. Another thing I eventually would like to do is get a JPoint sight and they make a shotgun mount that glues directly to the barrel of your shotgun and I believe that you could glue this same mount directly to your gun in front of you rear sight or onto the gas system. The glue is ROCK SOLID. I have friends running this setup on their 1100s and Benellis and they use the dot for slugs and the ring for shot and seems to work great. Another option is using a BP02 side mount with a CMore directly screwed to the moun like one of our other members. USPSA multi gun rules allow for you to take optics, bipods, and other accessories off or on between stages. If your competitions allow this option then you can use an optic for certain stages and then take it off. Look in this section at my post on Multi Gun setups and you can see what I use. Also PM me if you have any other questions.

P.

John,

take your time with the Ar-15 and build it up like you want it. AR type rifles can be assembled in dozens of different ways with literally catalogs of accessories to finish it out. I'd pick and choose barrel and receiver as few manufacturer's make the best of all parts. The assembly has to be done right and a few special tools are needed (i.e. barrel wrench, go/ no-go guages) , but it's not rocket science with an Ar-15.

One question:

Is the match about skill or is it just another equipment race?

I haven't shot competition yet but I've gone to some and seen John and Eric, Tom Cole, and others here going at it.

From everything I saw, it's mostly about skill AND speed (accuracy, timing, and muscle memory).

But just like in any sport that involves hi tech equipment (NASCAR for instance), it pays to have the absolute best and fastest working equipment.

Some of the competitions go out of their way to make the stages non Saiga freindly, to give the tube fed gunners a chance against the guys with autos and detachable mags.

So I guess the correct answer is BOTH.

CONSISTENCY.............I come from a Multi Gun and Pistol background and have never been to a dedicated shotgun match, but as long as you and your equipment run through the day at the top, not necessarily first, but in the top 4 then you should stand a chance.

To my friends in the UK bring it on Comrades! The AR will be done first it will be very unique made for my shooting style from the ground up.

Edited by topmaul