20 minute pistol grip conversion

Thanks to this forum I picked up a 7.62x39 Saiga 16" yesterday at a gun show. I like the look of the Saiga and have no intention of converting it permanantly. While comparing it to my SAR1 I noticed the Tapco folder and though I could do a quick conversion.

Compared with the SAR1, the Saiga has a lower trigger guard tang

saiga7.jpg

I bolted the pistol grip from my SAR onto the lower tang using the original screw and just added a nut.

saiga9.jpg

I had to trim the stock tang back about 1/4 " to fit into the receiver. I also had to cut a notch to clear the trigger. With the grip nut in place I also had to cut a grove in the stock tang to clear the nut. Pretty easy to do with a dremel and it doesn't affect the stock when put back into the SAR1.

saiga12.jpg

The lockup and clearance of the grip. It is rather flimsy but a inletted screw in the back of the grip into the plastic stock tang would secure it pretty good.

saiga10.jpg

The finished project. Kind of ugly but functional.

saiga11.jpg

Edited by zipgun
But now you're out of compliance with 922r.

You can try to replace the hammer and the sear and the gas piston and you'll be back in.

It doesn't look bad though.

Doesn't this mod make the weapon a bit front heavy?

How do you figure it is out of compliance? Stock and grip are US made.

Tis a bit front heavy and the length of pull is very short.

zipgun,

You have modified the original approved sporting arm as imported. By modifying and adding some US parts you become subject to 922r. The Saiga in 7.62 has 14 critical parts off the list of 20 listed by BATF. 922r states you may not have more than 10 imported parts on a rifle. The grip does not count on the Saiga as there was not one on it when imported. You have changed the stock. That counts as 1 but you need 3 more to be legal.

brian33x51 suggesed the hammer, disconnector and gas piston. He did not suggest the trigger because it is different in the Saiga. without the conversion you need the original. There are alot of guys willing to help on this board if you need it.

I recently completed the conversion on one of my 7.62 rifles. I used the Tapco folder as well but will likely change to an ACE stock as I am left handed and the hinge block is right in my face. I can see an accident waiting during rapid fire recoil. The conversion is not bad, especially if you have access to a drill press. It's a nice week end project. Good luck and welcome.

Wolverine

I didn't think there was a problem with modifying the original stock as long as the original stock is replaced with another stock that doesn't have any "evil" features on it.

By adding a folder + detachable PG he basically upped the "evil" count to 3 (folding stock, pistol grip, detachable mags). Don't quote me on this though.

If you are correct that ANY mod causes a violation of 922r then there's plenty of folks out there with hand made buttstocks and foregrips that might be in trouble.

BlenderWizard,

Sorry I didn't answer in my last post above. First you need to study over the coversion post. then you need to buy supplies for the conversion. The actual conversion itself can take several hours, particularly if you try to save the manual bolt hold open feature. The G-2 Hammer base is wide than the Saiga and must be carefully honed on each side to allow enough room to re-insert the bho piece and spring. It's a bugger to get in. Once you get the pieces out of the gun you have to decide to paint the bottom or wait. Assuming you paint first, then attach the pistol grip, etc. you have the drying and baking time. I am estimating 6-8 hours of work interrupted by paint drying time. So count on a weekend.

Wolverine.

Don't let him scare you, if you don't keep the bolt hold open and don't paint the little area that is left exposed in the end around the new trigger, than you can get it done in just a few hours, even with the most basic tools. I just used power tools and a dremmel tool following the web page step by step.

KySoldier is right. It is not monumental. I just wanted to givce you the heads up about the bho in case you wanted to keep the feature. I played with that one for awhile figuring it out. but then I am no mechanical genious so you should have no problem.

Just to clarify. It actually took me a few more than 20 minutes in that I had to trim the stock several times and I took my time to do it. Figuring out what the hell I was doing took a few minutes as well. If I had to do it again, it would take me about 5 minutes, not counting exchanging the required US made parts count.

Second clarification, This was an exersize to see if the Saiga could be quickly/cheaply converted with out any machining, cutting or grinding on the weapon itself. As you can see it can.

I had and have no intention of converting it permanantly in that I already have several AKs. I kind of like the sporter look to the Saiga as is. In fact, as soon as the pictures were taken it was put back in it's orginal configuration.

In regards to the parts count violation. I vow never to do it again. I hope the imported parts police (IPP?) don't see this posting in that I am sure that imported parts are a high priority enforcement mission. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, if I just put the folding stock on the Saiga without the pistol grip would it meet the parts count?

I don't think so because you have two "evil features" including the magazine feed and folding stock. The minute you put the folder on you need three more US parts.

If you keep the grip which is not in the US count as the rifle did not have one to start, a US folder such as the Tapco would give you one. You still need three more for a total of four on the 7.62 Saiga.

One option is to use a US hammer, gas piston, and front lower handguard. The transfer bar trigger and sear system precludes a swap for US parts without the conversion.

Frankly, I think it is cheaper to do the conversion. But you may not want to mess with a good trigger system. So then you can opt for the change suggested above. Bottom line is you will have to spend some money if you want to make changes like a folder, grip or keep the detachable magazine feature with these and stay legal.

Clear as mud?

Wolverine