Wont chamber a round...

I have a Saiga .223 that wont fully chamber a round.

The round will not fully seat into the breach/bore. The bolt/carrier without a round works fine and closes fully. I had to have the feed ramp remilled and ever since Ive had this problem. So I figured there must be some shavings in the bore but when I shine a light down there it appears pristine to me. I cleaned out the barrel the best I could with a .22 brush but still no luck.

Any thoughts?

I have a Saiga .223 that wont fully chamber a round.

The round will not fully seat into the breach/bore. The bolt/carrier without a round works fine and closes fully. I had to have the feed ramp remilled and ever since Ive had this problem. So I figured there must be some shavings in the bore but when I shine a light down there it appears pristine to me. I cleaned out the barrel the best I could with a .22 brush but still no luck.

Any thoughts?

Several Questions need to be asked...

You say the round won't fully seat into the chamber....

1) who did your remilling work #1 and WHY in the 1st place?

2) Can You chamber a Round by Hand fully?

3) Does this problem exist with different mags, if you have them?

Try just putting a round in the chamber by hand...with the bolt held open, will it seat?

I'm sure other's here can help you with this Odd problem.

Several Questions need to be asked...

You say the round won't fully seat into the chamber....

1) who did your remilling work #1 and WHY in the 1st place?

The threads for the dinzag feedramp were stripped and had to have it rethreaded by the previous owner.

2) Can You chamber a Round by Hand fully?

Yes, still will not fully seat.

3) Does this problem exist with different mags, if you have them?

its not a mag problem since it has the same results with and without feeding the round from a mag.

Try just putting a round in the chamber by hand...with the bolt held open, will it seat?

Yup, tried that too and even letting the bolt fly home (probably shouldnt have) but still wont seat fully.

I'm sure other's here can help you with this Odd problem.

On a side note, how flush is the base of the round suppose to be relative to the bore face?

Edited by Variable

I think your feed ramp is to high. When the bolt closes on a round it is often pulled down a little bit by the cartridge, this would cause what you describe. Check the top of the ramp for wear and if you see some scrapes then this may be your trouble. I have had this happen to me when making my own feed ramps.

I think your feed ramp is to high. When the bolt closes on a round it is often pulled down a little bit by the cartridge, this would cause what you describe. Check the top of the ramp for wear and if you see some scrapes then this may be your trouble. I have had this happen to me when making my own feed ramps.

Yeah, it was rubbing on it before and I dremeled it down. So that could be it but is the brass suppose to protrude from the bore a bit? I'll go sharpie the ramp some more.

Yeah, it was rubbing on it before and I dremeled it down. So that could be it but is the brass suppose to protrude from the bore a bit? I'll go sharpie the ramp some more.

The cartridge does protrude, yes, it has to be able to seat in the bolt face so that the extractor can get hold of the rim.

Good call on the sharpie, that should tell you if you have to look elsewhere.

Good luck.

The cartridge does protrude, yes, it has to be able to seat in the bolt face so that the extractor can get hold of the rim.

Good call on the sharpie, that should tell you if you have to look elsewhere.

Good luck.

You were on the money Arc! It needed some more dremeling. Especially on that smallest part of the ramp closest to the base of the breach. (The hardest part to get to, go figure right).You were also correct that the bolt will ride lower with a round in it, causing it to rub when it normally wouldnt empty. I also got mentally hung up on how much of the base of the brass is "exposed". To me it looks like the round is not fully sitting in the chamber but it must be.

Thanks guys!

Edited by Variable

The man is right on the money, when you chamber a round the bolt aligns with the chamber, if the bullet guide is to

high the bolt will get stock and dont close or half close, that is why when you do it with a empty chamber the

bolt will close but with a round will get stock if the guide is to high.