S12 Gas block mods

Need advice on gas mods. I have a S12 with 12" barrel. I need to move the gas block back 2" so that it will cycle. (Wont cycle with any round on either gas setting) and was told by my gun smith that he needs to turn down the barrel on a lathe in order to move the gas block back.

Does this lathe work sound right to those of you that have moved your gas blocks back 2"?????

Thanks

Erin

Need advice on gas mods. I have a S12 with 12" barrel. I need to move the gas block back 2" so that it will cycle. (Wont cycle with any round on either gas setting) and was told by my gun smith that he needs to turn down the barrel on a lathe in order to move the gas block back.

Does this lathe work sound right to those of you that have moved your gas blocks back 2"?????

Thanks

Erin

Yes, the barrel is larger toward the rear. Check out topic in this forum 2nd page July 25th by Krisfox (SBS Length)

Good luck

you should have four gas ports drilled, with a SBS saiga 12 at that length. it would be easier to press off the block, drill the fourth hole, and re-seat it, than pressing out the barrel after removing the block, and turning down the barrel, or opening up the block a bit.

I should point out that I am not a gunsmith, so I am just suggesting this, but my partner, IS a gunsmith of 35+ years, and in dealing with him, this is the solution that I have been told that he does, to get the gun to cycle at that barrel length.

I've been dragging my ass on going back out and testing my 13" SBS S12. I've been adding posts in the Tech Section as I've made changes to the gas ports. I think my next time out I've got a 50/50 chance at gettting it to run with heavy field loads on setting 2. I've already gotten the shotty to run with slugs and 00 buck. Now I'm trying to tune it so that I can run heavy bird loads on 2 and slugs/buck on setting 1.

I should have some more info this weekend, BUT IT WILL BE IN THE TECH SECTION.

In short, you don't have to move the gas block at 12" unless you want to run light bird loads. If you want to reliably run LIGHT bird loads with minimal fouling... then you're going to need to move it back. If you're only going to run slugs, buck and heavy bird loads... you can tweak your gas system to get it to run.

More to come....

You should talk to the guy who has perfected the short barreled S12, which is Tony at Tromix. At the shorter lengths (I forgot exactly) he moves the gas block back and also shortens the gas tube and piston. Keep in mind that you also have to weld up the old gas ports when you do this.