Magazine How Many Rounds

My understanding is that springs are generally damaged by being overextended, over-compressed, or going through too many compression/extension-relaxation cycles. Leaving a spring compressed within its working limits for a long period of time should not cause significant harm. Consider, for example, that most every police officer in the nation who carries a semi-automatic side-arm keeps several magazines for that gun fully loaded at all times. Nevertheless, they almost never have any problem with mag springs failing as a result.

If you buy cheap magazines, you get cheap parts.

Cheap springs DO wear out over time.

Pro-Mag owners beware.

This is not an issue in military issue or high end commercial magazines. There have been documented reports of WWI guns being brought out of grandads closet and working just fine.

I agree and the facts are their that springs will not show any depreciative wear from being compressed. Heck look at Cops....they keep their mags full all the time. Some of those guys might not even touch them except for when they get issued new ammo or go to the range and qualify--and I have never heard a story of them not working when they need them to.

But, conversely. Mags I don't shoot much I don't leave loaded. My cheap high-cap 10/22 mags are the main culprits and that is because I am more worried about stressing the plastic feed lips than I am the springs.

Used a galil 223 in the middle east for two tour's, had serious issues with spring wear loading 30 round mags with more than 26 rounds, I bought them new from IMI, had about 21 mags and over a two year period of use I was down to 6 mags I could rely on. Had a similar problem with my famas in africa just food for thought though.

Edited by BlkWaterelite128

I doubt you'd have a prob. w/ keeping them full, but I don't - I keep 1 full and rotate it through the harem about every 2 mos.

They say cycles are the reason for spring failure, but I don't trust Anybody's comments on this anymore - I do what I think should work..... I load up 1 mag for each gun about 70%, leave it in the gun, then Rotate to another mag about every 2 mos. - My $.02

I think you'll have some time to load up all your mags if you really need to do that.

I agree with bullshark, As long as you don't keep the mags full all the time you should be ok, In my previous post I was talking about a combat situation, I had to have my mags constantly loaded for a very long period of time even though they were military quality they broke down. Bullshark is completely right swap out your loaded mag from time to time if you think you'll need it in a hurry. unless your a private security contractor or some sort other sort of professional thats life depends on having a lot of fire power very quickly leave your mags unloaded.

What causes fatigue is the constant bending/flexing of the metal. For an example, if you bend a metal coat hanger enough times it will break. Though that is an extreme case, the principle remains the same.

With mil spec AK mags, I would think it would take a lot of flexing/loading etc to weaken the springs to point of no return.

Leaving your mags loaded for extended periods should not affect the springs. My pastor gave me a couple of loaded Colt 45 mags that his Uncle had when he died. The ammo in those mags was corroded to the point that the mags began to rust, the leather mag pouch was aged and dry, but the springs were still strong. No telling how long he had them in his gun case.

My guess is since the Korean war.

Edited by MacMan