Considering a Saiga .308

I'm looking for a cost-effective BR, and I think I've found it in a Saiga .308. However, I have some questions. First, I've read some threads that made me question if a Saiga .308 can be converted to a PG configuration and still maintain its reliability. Would I be better off and more confident in the rifle if I leave it in its original configuration? Also, what are the best high cap magazines for this rifle? Are the high cap mags reliable?

I'm a new poster, new member to the Saiga forum, and new to Saiga in general.

Any and all info and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm looking for a cost-effective BR, and I think I've found it in a Saiga .308. However, I have some questions. First, I've read some threads that made me question if a Saiga .308 can be converted to a PG configuration and still maintain its reliability. Would I be better off and more confident in the rifle if I leave it in its original configuration? Also, what are the best high cap magazines for this rifle? Are the high cap mags reliable?

Thanks!

Are these "threads" here on the Saiga board or elsewhere?

Folks around here convert with almost a boring regularity with minimal problems.....

Please feel free to browse our .308 Section and welcome aboard!

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showforum=6

A Saiga .308 can be converted to pistol grip with absolutley NO, let me repeat NO reliablilty issues.

The only caveat would be that the work is done correctly by someone who has a little more mechanical skill than most of those on arf.com.

If you want answers about Saigas, TRUE answers about Saigas, then this is the place.

There is no other place on the net with as much ACCURATE info as this site!

Thanks!

Are these "threads" here on the Saiga board or elsewhere?

Folks around here convert with almost a boring regularity with minimal problems.....

Please feel free to browse our .308 Section and welcome aboard!

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showforum=6

I found this in the Saiga forum:

"I figure there's a simple fix for this, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Here's the problem I'm seeing:

1) Disengage safety

2) Pull back bolt handle/cock the weapon

3) Let fly forward/chamber round)

4) Re-engage safety

5) Disengage safety again and the weapon fires

My standard AK does no do this, but my converted 308 does. It appears that when the safety is disengaged the second time, it is letting the disconnector move and releasing the cocked hammer. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!"

Admittedly I've read some info through other sources, and the vast majority of what I've read has been very positive about the Saiga. But everything has its issues, and in light of the quote above that I just read, I was curious if there are specific pitfalls to be aware of if considering converting a Saiga to a PG config. I've replaced parts on a Marlin 60 and performed minor dremel work on my WASR, but other than that, I've really never performed any modification of any of my firearms. Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for the .308 conversion? I think I've read where it's different than converting the .223 or the x39.

A Saiga .308 can be converted to pistol grip with absolutley NO, let me repeat NO reliablilty issues.

The only caveat would be that the work is done correctly by someone who has a little more mechanical skill than most of those on arf.com.

If you want answers about Saigas, TRUE answers about Saigas, then this is the place.

Thanks! I'm glad to be here. I'm planning on biting the bullet this weekend and ordering the Saiga .308 w/ 16" barrel. I found a picture of a converted Saiga .308 somewhere on the web and I've attached the pic. I'd like something like this, although I don't think I want a folding stock.

post-12209-1218049715_thumb.jpg

Thanks! I'm glad to be here. I'm planning on biting the bullet this weekend and ordering the Saiga .308 w/ 16" barrel. I found a picture of a converted Saiga .308 somewhere on the web and I've attached the pic. I'd like something like this, although I don't think I want a folding stock.

Get with Bvamp or VanKiller on here.

I just got a .308 Saiga from them!

"I figure there's a simple fix for this, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Here's the problem I'm seeing:

1) Disengage safety

4) Re-engage safety

My standard AK does no do this, but my converted 308 does. It appears that when the safety is disengaged the second time, it is letting the disconnector move and releasing the cocked hammer. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!"

Admittedly I've read some info through other sources, and the vast majority of what I've read has been very positive about the Saiga. But everything has its issues, and in light of the quote above that I just read, I was curious if there are specific pitfalls to be aware of if considering converting a Saiga to a PG config. I've replaced parts on a Marlin 60 and performed minor dremel work on my WASR, but other than that, I've really never performed any modification of any of my firearms. Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for the .308 conversion? I think I've read where it's different than converting the .223 or the x39.

Well, there you go!

1) Disengage safety

4) Re-engage safety

Well, there you go!

Yeah, that quote I included was from someone else in the Saiga forums, not me. I just read the post and want to avoid making any mistakes. Having never performed any modification on my firearms, would you then suggest I get someone else to do the conversion?

That all depends on your skills and your confidence in them.

Check this out:

http://www.dinzagarms.com/downloads/fcg_g2.pdf

If you decide to do it yourself, get Dinzag's modified fcg.

Or you can get a converted one from several different builders.

I recommended Cadiz because they are in Ohio and I know they just got some long guns in.

VanKiller does good work too!

That all depends on your skills and your confidence in them.

Check this out:

http://www.dinzagarms.com/downloads/fcg_g2.pdf

If you decide to do it yourself, get Dinzag's modified fcg.

Or you can get a converted one from several different builders.

I recommended Cadiz because they are in Ohio and I know they just got some long guns in.

VanKiller does good work too!

Great! Thanks man! I appreciate the help. I'll look them up!

That pic is Red Jacket's ZK .308..... a fan Fave around here...

That pic is Red Jacket's ZK .308..... a fan Fave around here...

Unfortunately the Red Jacket wait is about 4 months currently.........

There can be an issue with the safety not functioning properly after a PG conversion on a Saiga .308. However, if you buy the PG conversion .308 FCG from Dinzag ALL of the modifications are taken care of to give you a totally reliable and SAFE FCG. I converted my Saiga .308 using the aforementioned FCG from Dinzag, and it works great. The trigger pull is very smooth and crisp, and the safety works 100%.

The reason for the safety problem is because a saiga safety has a slightly different length on the internal tab that engages the trigger (and keeps it from moving when engaged). Its fine when its installed with a saiga trigger, but when you convert you throw away that piece of trash trigger and put in an AK trigger (like the tapco G2). Now you have a saiga safety with an AK trigger and they just don't mate up right. An easy fix is to get an AK safety, but the scrape that the safety puts on the outside of the receiver will be in a different place than the saiga safety, so you get two scrapes. Not a big deal for me, so thats what I did.

But the dinzag route would probably be easier and better, just not cheaper :)

oh, and another issue is the G2 trigger has side to side movement when you just put it in without spacers. so put in some spacers.

J

On my selector I hit the tab that touches the trigger with the wirefeed to get rid of the slop when it's in the safe position.

huh?

is this a welding reference?

J

Yes. He's talking about adding enough metal on the end of the safety tab to properly engage the back of the FCG.

Ok, I have another question. What is the quickest, easiest, most cost-effective way for me to achieve 922r compliance if I want to use a "high capacity" magazine in the Saiga .308? Assuming I decide not to perform the PG conversion. And correct me if I'm wrong, but the magazine would count as 3 compliant parts (body, follower, floorplate). So am I then looking for one additional compliant part?

Thanks again to everyone giving advice, I appreciate it.

Ok, I have another question. What is the quickest, easiest, most cost-effective way for me to achieve 922r compliance if I want to use a "high capacity" magazine in the Saiga .308? Assuming I decide not to perform the PG conversion. And correct me if I'm wrong, but the magazine would count as 3 compliant parts (body, follower, floorplate). So am I then looking for one additional compliant part?

Without a PG conversion and no muzzle threading, a gas piston would keep the parts count kosher and be the cheapest and easiest route to go.

I say convert it...you'll feel better about yourself having done so. :D

Without a PG conversion and no muzzle threading, a gas piston would keep the parts count kosher and be the cheapest and easiest route to go.

I say convert it...you'll feel better about yourself having done so. :D

Thanks! I was thinking about the gas piston route after doing some research. Trust me, I've considered converting it (and still am). But I have so much money into firearms, ammo, and magazines, that my first goal is simply to get a .308 that can legally accept high cap mags, and pay for the expensive mags before the next election, at which time they may become even more scarce. So, while a PG conversion may take place at some point, it probably won't be immediate. Although I could see myself getting sucked into converting it... they look awfully nice. ;-)

What are your thoughts on the 16" versus the 22"?

Edited by RothbardianInOhio

get one..doesnt matter which...well it does, depending on how ur going to use it. my 16" .308 does a grp just over 2" at 100 yrds w/ surplus ammo...may have been a good day that day...

my fav...even more than mine is the one the guy painted and fluted barrel, it was a 22" version.

It depends on the magazine. The Surefire is three (body, follower, floorplate). The FMBG is either two (body and floorplate) or one (body) depending on when it was made (the first FMBG's had two, current ones have only one compliant part).

Replacing the gas piston is the easiest and cheapest (but you'll be limited to Surefire magazines).

Dinzag also sells a FCG for non-PG converted Saiga that takes care of two compliance parts if you want to stick to factory appearance (when combined with gas piston replacement, it would allow the use of FMBG magazines without 922r issues).

It depends on the magazine. The Surefire is three (body, follower, floorplate). The FMBG is either two (body and floorplate) or one (body) depending on when it was made (the first FMBG's had two, current ones have only one compliant part).

Replacing the gas piston is the easiest and cheapest (but you'll be limited to Surefire magazines).

Dinzag also sells a FCG for non-PG converted Saiga that takes care of two compliance parts if you want to stick to factory appearance (when combined with gas piston replacement, it would allow the use of FMBG magazines without 922r issues).

cma g21:

Thanks for pointing that out! I wasn't aware of the differences between the Surefire and FMBG mags, as it relates to 922r.