Interesting Thumbhole Stock!

I was reading somewhere in the new Shotgun News that some of the newer Saiga shotguns are shipping with olive drab furniture on them. If it would be possible, I'd love to be able to purchase a olive drab stock and handguard set for the Saiga I have (I have always thought that the black/o.d. color scheme (especially on military styled weapons) to be totally boss). :super:

kinda off subject , but....anyone know where i can get a scope mount like the one in that first picture?..i like the height and forward sweeping design..if that is a weaver rail , and is a good quality part , its just what im looking for...i havent seen one like that on any of the online AK parts sites...i was going to get K-Var's KV-04 mount , but i like the one in the picture better...anyone know who sells em?, or who makes em?...the stock is pretty nice too , but im not real big on the wood idea..looks very comfortable , but looks mighty heavy too...

Hey Gaddis, you can get a CETME or HK91 w/ OD Green (or paint it yourself and save money) or even AK-47 stocks in that color (see link).

http://www.k-var.com/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=2...70&1=271&2=1082

Hi KySoldier,

Yeah , I already got my eyes on one of those Arsenal SA M-7 AK's (scope rail version! :D ) with the olive drab furniture on them (that is, if the local P.D. gets off kiesters and gets my paperwork thru (moved to a new home)). A HK91 in olive drab sounds pretty cool too (might have to check out one and put it on my possible future purchases list). :up:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm with you. I prefer the synthetic (more into tactical than hunting look) but it is cool what can be accomplished on the unmodified version. Someone should work out a deal with the guy and put some of his homemade Saiga products like this one online. If I could get it in black or OD green, I'd buy.

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to bring up old news, but is anyone making thumbhole stocks for the Saiga-12 here yet.....Billyjobob?? If someone here made a respectable stock; like the sporter ATI fiberforce stock or a thumbhole stock, I'd certainly buy it! Makc could even market them. Just an idea.

KYSoldier - I received the pattern from Jerry several weeks ago and am working on one right now. The first one I cut out from the pattern seems a little short for me, so I am going back to modify it to make it slightly longer. I'm only 6'1" and I like my stocks pretty short, but this needs a couple of inches added before the butt plate and pad go on.

The first one I made was patterned after an origional AK thumbhole stock, modified to fit the Saiga. Since I don't have a proper woodworking shop (only hand power tools), it didn't come out perfectly pretty, but it looks well enough and sure does fit and feel well. Since then, I've bought a band saw and am soon to get a scroll saw in order to do a more professional looking job. :smoke:

Adapting the origional AK thumbhole design to fit the unmodified Saiga was pretty simple to do. In the process, you keep the two top mounting screws exactly as they are, but don't bother with the lower screw and only make allowances for the screw housing to recess discretely back into the stock. Remarkably, the end result is still a rock solid stock mount with a thumbhole grip right up next to the trigger just like in an original AK thumbhole. If you didn't mind a little indention in the grip, I guess you could even drill and mount the lower screw if you wanted. However, as solid as this turned out, it seemed completely unnecessary to me (and I am usually the one who goes for overkill in building or mounting things!). :eek:

I am also experimenting with the wood and finish right now. In my first project, I used pine 1x8's glued together and painted it black so it looks like origional black composite furniture. Actually, the finish looks better than the origional Saiga and you have no idea it is wood underneath by looking at it. In my last two projects, I have used oak 1x1's or 2x1's glued together (with gorilla glue) to make a 3x8x24 composit block to work from. When finished, I suspect it will be the same as the first, only slightly heavier and more solid. Initially, I wanted to find solid wood block to work with but, (1) it is not readily available in these dimensions, (2) it would be more costly if it was, and (3) surprisingly, the glued together block looks as good and is probably stronger as a finished product than the solid block of wood. For the wood lovers, these would be beautiful if left natural or lightly stained.

Let me get my scroll saw and I'll post pictures soon.

Billyjobob

Wow, thanks for the big reply, I can't wait to see your photos...I was afraid that I was the only one thinking of these stocks....everyone else seems to want to leave it the way it is (guess they don't like the AK look) or have already modified it to fit a pistol grip. I've got a Maadi with the ATI fiberglass stock and like the feel of it. The original Saiga stock is my only gripe about the guns sold. Is wood strong enough under that design or similar? Also, i still fail to grasp how an original AK wood stock could fit a Saiga-12. I looked at an example online as I read your description...

http://www.ak-47.net/ak47/mak90.html

It seems to me that the "pistol grip like" portion would protrude too far out to fit an unmodified Saiga-12. Am I understanding correctly that there is a block like housing (where AK's have trunion blocks) that can be pulled out slightly to compensate for the gap?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just excited that my one gripe might be solved soon! :lolol:

Allright. Here is what the finished "not so pretty" stock looks like. Unfortunately, the jig saw blade I was using "wandered" in this thick material resulting in an uneven line. Also, I intentionally contoured parts of the stock to make it more comfortable to hold. Result is not pretty but functional for a first attempt.

post-2-1070982136.jpg

Here is a picture of the regular AK stock compared to the one being made for the Saiga. Notice the placement of the mount for the receiver is significantly forward of the regular AK stock. They are virtually opposite in their placement in relation to the thumbhole grip.

post-2-1070983193.jpg

As I really like the origional AK thumbhole stock look, I believe I'll go back now and reuse my origional pattern to make a less homely looking stock like the black one pictured in addition to the other ones I am currently working on.

KYsoldier, I believe this answered your questions, but if not, let me know.

Enjoy.

Billyjobob

Here is one last one showing sort of a quartering shot of the receiver mount. Obviously, these are just flat cut outs at this stage and still need to be made into finished stocks. LOTS of work left to do before they are finished and ready to mount.

For those of you considering this at home, best of luck if you are going to try a jig saw. My experience was obviously less than what I had hoped for. Consequently, I HIGHLY recommend a band saw and a scroll saw for making the initial cuts from flat stock. After that, use whatever your most comfortable with to shape it into a finished product.

Best of luck.

Billyjobob

post-2-1070985637.jpg