Non Tactical Saiga 12s?

Does anyone have pictures/opinions of a non tactical Saiga build? I'm curious as to what the possibilities are. I'm tired of seeing all of the short barrels, rails, and such. Especially the collapsible Ar stocks on anything but an Ar...shudder. Anyone have perhaps a nice wooden furniture Saiga with a red dot on a simple and low profile mount?

Thats the 308 stock modified for the 12. The tail stock is an easy mod with a coping saw. I love the look and the cheek weld. has a nice recoil pad as well

What I haven't decided yet is how to bore out the fore grip properly and what to do about the sling mount.

Cobra? a little help here for the noob?

Hehehe That's my safe queen! Only S-12 I'm keeping pretty much stock, besides my factory camo model.

I used the wood furniture off my Saiga .308 that I turned into a proper AK...

AK-308Unfolded.jpg

It was a lot of work getting that HG to fit the S-12...but well worth it. The stock wasn't much trouble at all.

It gives the gun a MUCH better feel and it shoots better with the added weight.

Yeah...ya slap a drum in there and she takes on a litle more sinister attitude. :devil:

post-1293-1219377127_thumb.jpg

This is my buddy Sean taking her for a spin. :smoke:

post-1293-1219377234_thumb.jpg

th_MOV02263.jpg

What I haven't decided yet is how to bore out the fore grip properly and what to do about the sling mount.

Cobra? a little help here for the noob?

I used a dremel with a sanding drum and very course paper. Measured the places where it needs trimming for the gas block and other areas. Had to take a lot of meat off it for it to fit.

The sling loop from your factory forearm will work fine, just drill the wood for your same screw and inlet it for it. I'll see if I can find some more pics or take some more.

You have some very nice guns there, Cobra! Using the S308 wood was a fine idea, and you already had it around. It looks good and is comfortable to shoot, who can ask for more?

Btw, does anybody have any experience with the wood S12 handguards from rusmilitary.com?

Edited by tophatjones

Ok I found some more pics but it sure did bring back some bad memories... :(

These are not for the faint of heart..... :cryss:

I don't even remember how this happened...(I tend to block out shit like this! :angry: ) but somehow I managed to break the damned thing in half while I was working on it... :ded:

post-1293-1219380212_thumb.jpg

It may have happened by trying to pop the HG on from underneath, like you can with the plastic ones. I'm pretty sure I ended up sliding it on from the front to install it, after I repaired it. The repair was very successful and it has stood up to quite a bit of abuse since then. You can't even see the crack unless you know where to look and really try to see it.

It did make the rest of my work easier though...lol!

These are about the most revealing pics one could possibly take of exactly what needs removed...

post-1293-1219380291_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1219380304_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1219380322_thumb.jpg

Wow did you really take out that much material with a dremmel?

I would have use a chisel or fabbed up a jig for a router.

Still I can't argue with the results though 'cuz your safe queen turned out to be a hottie!

Thanks man..I wub her... :wub:

You'd be surprised how fast and easy you can remove wood with that course drum ranked up on high. Of course I had to do some chiseling too, along with some box cutter action to get the sharp corners around the GB.

Hey I just remembered how I broke the forearm in half.

Be VERY careful when removing that metal ferule that's in the tongue of the wood forearm. It has to come out so you can cut the tongue shorter for the S-12. I tried to knock it out with a hammer and a punch.....MISTAKE! One hit and that thing split right in two. :cryss:

Does anyone have pictures/opinions of a non tactical Saiga build? I'm curious as to what the possibilities are.

here is a pic from official Izhmash shop in Izhevsk (shop's name is "Saiga 2" - "2" denotes it's the second Izhmash's shop, not a secret Saiga model :)

Lots of nice wooden furniture here...

post-2027-1220007265_thumb.jpg

source: Kalashnikov Museum Virtual Tour site

Does anyone have pictures/opinions of a non tactical Saiga build? I'm curious as to what the possibilities are.

here is a pic from official Izhmash shop in Izhevsk (shop's name is "Saiga 2" - "2" denotes it's the second Izhmash's shop, not a secret Saiga model :)

Lots of nice wooden furniture here...

post-2027-1220007265_thumb.jpg

source: Kalashnikov Museum Virtual Tour site