NJ question regarding conversions: NRA-ILA info. Legal or not?

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to purchase my Saiga 7.62. Now, I've done all my research regarding 922R compliancy, and have all of my necessary legal parts picked out.

I'm still a bit uneasy about some things I read on the NRA website regarding NJ. I know some of these have been covered before, but I was hoping that comeone could give me a definitive answer.

Now, the term "assault type" rifle, or a rifle "resembling" an AK are the points that are bothering me a bit.

What distinguishes a converted Saiga from these?

Also: "A part or combination of parts to convert or assemble a firearm into an "assault firearm" is also forbidden."

This selection bothers me as well. I think I'm ok since I've seen a few NJ folk on here that have done the conversion, but if anyone can definitively tell me that I'm ok, I'll be very happy.

Has anyone ever spoken to a lawyer regarding these laws?

thanks

-Joe

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to purchase my Saiga 7.62. Now, I've done all my research regarding 922R compliancy, and have all of my necessary legal parts picked out.

I'm still a bit uneasy about some things I read on the NRA website regarding NJ. I know some of these have been covered before, but I was hoping that comeone could give me a definitive answer.

Now, the term "assault type" rifle, or a rifle "resembling" an AK are the points that are bothering me a bit.

Also: "A part or combination of parts to convert or assemble a firearm into an "assault firearm" is also forbidden."

This selection bothers me as well. I think I'm ok since I've seen a few NJ folk on here that have done the conversion, but if anyone can definitively tell me that I'm ok, I'll be very happy.

thanks

-Joe

I believe the law states that any weapon looking substantially identical to a named banned weapon is itself considered banned. I've spoken to the NJSP about this many times in the past regarding AR15 "Style" rifles, and AK's. The word avtomat and kalashnikov never appear on the rifle. Nor do the letter AK. That makes them different, not the same, and legal to own. Put a pistol grip on it and call it a day. If you're doing a collapsible stock make sure you blind pin it before you put it on the gun. If you're planning on threading the barrel, make sure you do it and either blind pin, or silver solder your muzzle brake on while it's only a barreled receiver. No magazine or pistol grip on it. Sounds stupid but will make you 100% legal while doing it.

Hi all,

thanks

-Joe

I believe the law states that any weapon looking substantially identical to a named banned weapon is itself considered banned. I've spoken to the NJSP about this many times in the past regarding AR15 "Style" rifles, and AK's. The word avtomat and kalashnikov never appear on the rifle. Nor do the letter AK. That makes them different, not the same, and legal to own. Put a pistol grip on it and call it a day. If you're doing a collapsible stock make sure you blind pin it before you put it on the gun. If you're planning on threading the barrel, make sure you do it and either blind pin, or silver solder your muzzle brake on while it's only a barreled receiver. No magazine or pistol grip on it. Sounds stupid but will make you 100% legal while doing it.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought, thanks for the clarification. The last part of your post confused me a bit: "No magazine or pistol grip on it."

This was my plan:

-USA made trigger group

-USA made pistol grip

-USA made 15 round magazines

-USA FIXED buttstock

-USA made handguards

-USA made muzzle brake (welded to the sight, no threading involved)

-USA made gas tube

-USA made gas piston

This should be perfectly fine, right?

Thanks,

-Joe

And for one last, and probably VERY stupid question:

Attaching a foreign made sling won't affect my parts count, will it?

(Awaits flaming...) :unsure:

-Joe

Nope. It's not a "counted" 922r part :D . Use any kind ya like.

Also, you'd be fine with the regular 10 round factory mag.

-Joe

Heh, thanks man. I just wanted to be 100% sure about everything.

Yeah, my USA parts count seems pretty high...Would suck not to be able to use the Saiga mag.

-Joe

-Joe

And you would be fine with the original gas tube.

-Joe

And you would be fine with the original gas tube.

Well, I want to add the AK-103 style handguard setup. I'm pretty sure I need a different one right?

-Joe

Hi all,

thanks

-Joe

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought, thanks for the clarification. The last part of your post confused me a bit: "No magazine or pistol grip on it."

This was my plan:

-USA made trigger group

-USA made pistol grip

-USA FIXED buttstock

-USA made handguards

-USA made gas tube

-USA made gas piston

Thanks,

-Joe

Joe, you don't need to change so many parts. You need to remove 4 foreign parts and not add any more. The trigger group counts as three parts on it's own. A US made magazine is also 3 parts. If you're gonna convert the gun you just need the trigger group, pistol grip, and butt stock. Everything after that point is optional. I would suggest hitting up dinzag for the parts. He's got trigger groups already modified for the bolt hold open lever, has gas tubes, has lower hand guard retainers, makes muzzle brakes to go over the sleeve on a saiga, and sells K-var furniture. Get everything in one shot from one guy to keep the cost of shipping down.

BTW, what I meant by no magazine and no pistol grip on it, was, while you're threading the barrel. You would technically be in violation of NJ laws if you have a threaded barrel with a detachable magazine and a pistol grip.

Edited by taurussvt
Hi all,

thanks

-Joe

This was my plan:

-USA made trigger group

-USA made pistol grip

-USA FIXED buttstock

-USA made handguards

-USA made gas tube

-USA made gas piston

Thanks,

-Joe

Joe, you don't need to change so many parts. You need to remove 4 foreign parts and not add any more. The trigger group counts as three parts on it's own. A US made magazine is also 3 parts. If you're gonna convert the gun you just need the trigger group, pistol grip, and butt stock. Everything after that point is optional. I would suggest hitting up dinzag for the parts. He's got trigger groups already modified for the bolt hold open lever, has gas tubes, has lower hand guard retainers, makes muzzle brakes to go over the sleeve on a saiga, and sells K-var furniture. Get everything in one shot from one guy to keep the cost of shipping down.

BTW, what I meant by no magazine and no pistol grip on it, was, while you're threading the barrel. You would technically be in violation of NJ laws if you have a threaded barrel with a detachable magazine and a pistol grip.

Oh alright, I see what you mean.

Actually, the parts I'm replacing are all things I wanted to change anyway. I just figured I would use the most US made stuff possible.

-Joe