Is steel shot bad on the barrel

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a Saiga 20 that has the 09 choke according to the manual and it has the 09 marked on the gun. But I got suspicsious and measured the bore at the muzzle with calipers. Mine measured .615 which indicates no choke but rather a cylinder bore. If yours is measured and it is close to this you may very well be able to shoot steel shot all you want too. The chrome lining in the barrel of Saigas

is also a plus when shooting steel shot. Most of Military weapons have chromed lined chambers and bore.

Major US shotgun Manufacturers(Remington,Mossberg etc.)rate their Full chokes for lead,steel,or any of the other type of shot. The barrels of these shotguns with the fullchokes installed are way thinner than those of a Saiga. Comparing it with my model 870 Rem. The Saiga looks to be almost three times thicker. Steel shot is normally used for hunting waterfowl and a high percentage of the hunters use full choked guns for the longshots and with steelshot that is required by law. All Saigas are advertised to have chrome chambers and bores. A bore that is not chromed and is steel will shine more than a chromed barrel becaused they are polished out. The Chrome used in gun barrels is not the same as that on a car bumper or wheels. It is a sort of a dull color. Chromed bores are harder than steel. I am not trying to be an expert on the subject, but trying to relay some of the information from Gun manufactuers that anyone that is really interested can verify for themselves. I am not trying to get anyone to use steel shot, Everyone decide for themselves, but I am new to this Forum since I have only had my Saiga for a month or so and i believe that I have seen one or two statements that I have doubts about. OH, I picked

up some Remington Sportsmen Steel at WallyWorld for $5.00 a Box-20 gauge 23/4 Max Dram EQ. 1300fps 3/4 oz of shot.

:dollar::killer:

I agree with MoeJoe in that steel is ok to shoot. The only reason there is any question about steel loads being safe to shoot or not in any particular gun is pre-1950 or so shotgun barrels were not hard enough steel to withstand the harder shot and would erode with prolonged harder-shot-than-lead shooting.

Full chokes are OK to shoot steel thru, but Most manufacturers and loading manuals say steel patterns better with a modified choke due to the different charactoristics of steel and lead.