Crack in bolt carrier

My personal favorite though, has to be: "Afro-engineered".  Not racist or anything.  I just thought it sounded funny.

My grandfather (WWII vet) always used a similar term, but it involved an N word followed by "rigged".

So...

What's so wrong with "Nazi-rigged"?

I just don't get it.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Ok, so the curiosity got the best of me. The AK 74 bolt carrier does fit in the saiga 223, and the 223's bolt carrier in the AK74. The bolt from the 74 will fit in the 223, but the bolt from the 223 will not go in the 74.

ShKAS: I did not notice any extra holes in my newly acquired SAR 2.

I took a closer look at the weapons in question, and I'm not sure how I missed what you had mentioned. My SAR 2 does in fact have two holes bored into the back side of the bolt carrier. Just for reference, I also looked at the other weapons in the armory. The Saiga bolt carriers are solid on the right side, and milled down on the left. The AK 47 bolt carrier was solid on both sides. Was this what the picture you were trying to upload showed?

I think I agree with your assesment of the SAR 2 bolt carrier. The holes probably are meant to keep the weight down. Good luck with the pictures; I haven't had much luck with that so far either.

I'm a retired engineering lead tech(R&D failure analysis and product reliability lab) and a welder too and i wouldn't weld it. Because the metalurgy starts to change at a temp. as little as 400 degrees. It could be a misalignment problem and a new part may fix it. I just took mine apart after hammering it yesterday with 4 different shooters and after wiping off all the moly I lubed it up with it showed no cracks or wear of any kind. I put moly in the gas systems too on the gas pistons besides the bolt and the bolt carrier. All I can say is all my guns are moly'ed up. Like i said before it elimates all friction, all wear and prevents all galling too. It stays were you put it and its not temperature sensitive, it won't freeze up and it can take the heat too. Moly works into the small pores of the metal so there is no metal to metal contact anymore its moly against moly.

UKP

Edited by Unknown Poster
I took a closer look at the weapons in question, and I'm not sure how I missed what you had mentioned.  My SAR 2 does in fact have two holes bored into the back side of the bolt carrier.  Just for reference, I also looked at the other weapons in the armory.  The Saiga bolt carriers are solid on the right side, and milled down on the left.  The AK 47 bolt carrier was solid on both sides.  Was this what the picture you were trying to upload showed?

I think I agree with your assesment of the SAR 2 bolt carrier.  The holes probably are meant to keep the weight down.  Good luck with the pictures; I haven't had much luck with that so far either.

Yes, you've described it exactly. I haven't looked closely at other '74 type carriers to see if they have these holes or not.

Thanks

UKP: Thanks for the information. I had not even considered welding the bolt carrier to fix the crack, even though it had been suggested. I don't have the knowledge, ability, or equipment to do any welding in the first place. The rifle is still in working order, even though I haven't replaced the bolt carrier yet. The crack has not gotten any larger after further use. No new cracks have appeared either. I'm still at a loss as for how it got there in the first place. The bolt carrier doesn't seem to be making contact with anything that it's not supposed to. Either way, I'll continue investigating it. Thank you for the responses everyone.

I would repair it and moly it up good even on the gas piston then take it out and hammer the snots out of it and show it no mercy then take it apart and check it out. Were hammering my first saiga 16" in 308 and its takin a licking and still tickin. I haven't shot my 22" barrel saiga in 308 yet. I'm too busy testing the product reliabilty on the first one. All my hunting buddies were impressed with the way the saigs spits out the 308 round. I really think the saiga is going to get the fame like the sks has its quite a weapon. UKP

All i can say is i feel really bad for our service men and women over there up against one of the finest rifles ever produced.(AK47) If these sand fleas were well trained and they had air power and armor it would be a different story.

Edited by Unknown Poster