Bought a WASR-10

Well, saw a WASR-10 and I have wanted to get another AKM build before the new administration gets a ban through. Decided on a Romanian Cuigar build as I prefer to have the foreign receiver. Furniture was marginal quality, the buttstock and upper hand guard were OK, but lower hand guard was one of those weird wooden pistol grip pieces and the lacquer was chipping off all over. It was in better shape then then other sample available at the store. It has the usual slant muzzle brake, which does not seem to be permanently attached, and everything else is looking good. Came with one steel 30 round mag, bayonet/wirecutter, cleaning kit, sling and usual goodies.

I need to degrease it and refinish the furniture. An acquaintance of mine does AK trigger jobs that end up as a nice two stage pull so I will need to talk him into doing mine. I already sawed off the pistol grip extension on the lower hand guard and sanded off the chipping lacquer. I plan to make it into a proper AKM piece with nicely refinished wood. I wanted a cheap beater AK so this will be it. Total cost so far was $505 out the doo ( I remember AKs for under $300, what are we coming to?) .

Edited by Saigaczech

The price paid included the taxes and other incidentals, base price was ~$460. There were cheaper ones but I liked this the best out of the selection. Wanted something that would look like a good ol' AKM. BTW, refinished the furniture. Used a nice cherry stain, very warm. Might take a picture or two after I am finished. I am sure it could look better but this is my first refinishing job. Did I mention this was to be a beater/trunk gun? Hopefully I can get it ready for the range before the PNW monsoon season starts.

The price you paid is a little high, but as long as you are happy, who am I to complain? But for that money you could have got one of GunPlumbers "Professional" series.

I am sure that it can be reworked into a decent rifle.

Yeah, I could have shopped around but it was part of the cost of staying in my local dealers good graces. I do most of my buying at one place and in return get great service and some free work and parts from the gunsmith. The owner and workers there know I shoot the s**t out of my guns and ask me for reviews of any model I recently bought. Say it is the cost of supporting the 2nd amendment. I wonder if then next war of liberation here will be fought by patriots wielding AKs? Sort of ironic, no? :rolleyes:

The furniture is almost all refinished. Doing the final coats of Tung oil over the stain. Not a real show stopper but better then it was before. Next comes the trigger work. Seems it had a Romanian trigger group so I can cut the trigger down a bit and polish it for a nice two stage pull. Just want a basic shootable AKM with wooden furniture.

I know some people have some bad stories about WASR's. Personally I think much of it is overblown. I've shot 2 in the past three weeks, and they shot great. In fact, I was left feeling like my Yugo underfolder wasn't so special anymore. :unsure:

WASRs (FYI, the acronym means "what a shitty rifle") are hit or miss. Dad had a WASR-10 that was a total POS...so we got rid of it. He bought a SAR-1 and it's awesome..runs great. I have a WASR-2 and while the canted front sight needed repair, it has the Tapco trigger group in it and it runs out great. One of my favorite guns to shoot.

Make sure your rifle says WASR on it. One of them was posted on another board that said WARS. Very neat little blunder.

• 2 weeks later...