I'm a big AK fan and have a pretty good selection of them right now. Spur of the moment a few weeks ago at a gunshow, I asked a dealer what he wanted cash for a 19" 12. $510 + tax/call. I snapped it up. I was aggravated that the girl tore the wrapping paper off the rifle to verify the serial, as I wanted to keep it EXACTLY as it came, but cest la vie. I took the rifle home, opened it up to verify it was all there, and put it right back in the box.

Here's my problem: do I shoot it or stash it? I spoke to the dealer today and am trying to buy another, but he won't go lower than $525 this time. I'm selling a Mini-14 to buy a Glock, but I've been considering holding off on the Glock to get the Saiga, since you can ALWAYS get a Glock. If I do get the second, I'll convert one and keep the other NIB.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Wakko
I'm a big AK fan and have a pretty good selection of them right now. Spur of the moment a few weeks ago at a gunshow, I asked a dealer what he wanted cash for a 19" 12. $510 + tax/call. I snapped it up. I was aggravated that the girl tore the wrapping paper off the rifle to verify the serial, as I wanted to keep it EXACTLY as it came, but cest la vie. I took the rifle home, opened it up to verify it was all there, and put it right back in the box.

Here's my problem: do I shoot it or stash it? I spoke to the dealer today and am trying to buy another, but he won't go lower than $525 this time. I'm selling a Mini-14 to buy a Glock, but I've been considering holding off on the Glock to get the Saiga, since you can ALWAYS get a Glock. If I do get the second, I'll convert one and keep the other NIB.

What do you guys think?

Welcome to the forum. Name looks familiar, Akforum right. If you have the opportunity to purchase more than 1, then leaving one orginal in inhibitor paper and box to gain value would be a good idea and the other one shoot the hell out of it.

What do you guys think?

You HAVE to shoot it. Its a law. You can only stash one if you have one converted and available for use at any time. Just to be safe you should probably have two or three shooters before you try to stash one. I wouldn't want you to fall into the hands of the Saiga Police ya know. :devil:

Rule 1 for me, shoot every gun I buy.

Rule 2 for me, if I violate Rule 1 and the rifle is NIB, I make sure I just want it for the long haul and not as an investment.

Rule 3, guns are investments ONLY if you eventually sell them or your inheritors sell them.

Rule 4, the governent will always change the laws regarding firearms purchasing and owning. Regulations more than anything else drive values of import and current production firearms.

With regards to keeping an S12 NIB, unconverted - it is not as desirable as when professionally converted. That being said, many folks have particular tastes for conversion and want to pick their own. So you're kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. But I think you're a lot more damned if you don't because..............

In closing - If the Obamination gets elected, you might want to have the US parts and convert it if an AWB bill gets introduced in Congress. Remember that in the last AWB, only guns that were converted PRIOR to the legistlation being passed were exempt from being classified as restricted 'assault weapons'. Even if the receiver was manufactured prior to the AWB, you could not l(egally) convert them once ithe AWB was in place. So, the pristine, unconverted one is okay to keep in the short term, but be prepared to manufacture it into a converted configuration quickly if needed - because that is where the real value/desirability is.

Remember back to 2004 before the AWB sunset.... you could buy as many S12s as you could afford for $200 NIB. Nobody wanted them until the conversions started showing up extensively on this - and other - web boards. Based on recent history - I don't believe that demand for an unconverted Saigas would be too high in the event of a new AWB.

Edited by RDSWriter

Personally, I'd have the Saiga that was laid back converted by Tromix. That way you're good to go regardless of law changes, price fluctuations, and if something happens to Tony (heaven forbid) it would definately have more value than a stock S-12. Go ahead, do it, you know you want to.

Yep, I'm on the AKForum and occasionally post on AKFiles. Sucks that these have jumped in price so much, I wonder if the 7.62 ones will as well.

My ultimate goal with it is probably the same as everyone else's...20 round drum, folding stock, Street Sweeper style. :dollar:

Ya know, I've actually never even fired one of these before. :)

What do you guys think?

You HAVE to shoot it. Its a law. You can only stash one if you have one converted and available for use at any time. Just to be safe you should probably have two or three shooters before you try to stash one. I wouldn't want you to fall into the hands of the Saiga Police ya know. :devil:

+1

Though shalt not stash unless though hast at least 2 of the same!! One to shoot making a joyful noise(kaBOOM!)and one to hide from the dream stealers,gun grabbers,ex wives and borrowful brother's in law who deride your possession of "more guns that you can shoot".

HillBilly2 is wise and you should listen to him

LOL wakko, you better fire it then. It's the most fun shotgun in the world!

Get a Poly-Choke... it really helps with trap and skeet!

I haven't shot trap or skeet in 15 years or more. Is the IZ-109 good for that?

LOL wakko, you better fire it then. It's the most fun shotgun in the world!

Get a Poly-Choke... it really helps with trap and skeet!

I haven't shot trap or skeet in 15 years or more. Is the IZ-109 good for that?

It's marvelous for that!Light recoil and light on the muzzle if you are that sort of shooter!

I shoot mine on Trap, Krebs Ghost rings and all.

I have to manually feed each round (singles and the club won't allow more than one in the gun for singles)

With the Polychoke on Extra-full, I brought my scores from 17/25 (Cylinder Bore) to 23/25.

It's fun for the looks on the other shooters faces too.

Heh, sounds fun. I work at a gun range, so jumping on the skeet course wouldn't be a hassle at all. Is your Saiga in original configuration or converted? I just sold a few AMD-65 kits to pay for the second Saiga. Damn, I hate these obsessions. :chris: