Russian Armory Skeleton Stock

Hey Everyone. I've recently become a proud saiga-12 owner and was looking to do the "budget" pistol grip. I've seen the Russian armory Skeleton Stock with adjustable cheek rest and was looking for reviews of it's performance. Most impotantly, I'd like to know if it is solid or hollow. I do not like that the stock stock is hollow, call me old fashioned but I like knowing that the but of my guns can stand up to a good head-bashing if the need arises.

Any opinions?

Budget conversion.

Tromix Trigger Guard $45.00

Saw pistol grip $25.00

Tromx FCG $45.00

AR style sliding stock for AK $44.95

And a couple of cobalt drill bits to knock out the existing trigger guard rivets.

Then the rest is just bolt on.

HEY look, I just noticed, everything is available at the same place, Mississippi Arms. They also happen to be one of our sponsers! Hint hint!

Total cost for all the parts for a basic conversion, $159.95 plus shipping.

You will be MUCH happier with a true conversion rather than one of those partial conversions. Trust us.

Edited by bobotech

I hear you guys, and appreciate the feedback. I read the forums about how much better the conversion is, and I trust you guys are right......I just wanted to get a yugo underfolder before they get banned.

But I guess I could leave it as is, if you think the stock is a waste. The thing works great from the factory!

I hear you guys, and appreciate the feedback. I read the forums about how much better the conversion is, and I trust you guys are right......I just wanted to get a yugo underfolder before they get banned.

But I guess I could leave it as is, if you think the stock is a waste. The thing works great from the factory!

Noob here, but I got the skeleton stock on my S-12 and I like it. But I like being able to sight down the top and still hold the grip back a bit. Feels more comfortable shooting for me and if I have to shoot "from the hip" in close in/SHTF type situation, trigger reach is a bit easier unmodified.

Edited by Janir

I just bought one for my 410, I got it about 2/3 the cost of new, and I would NOT suggest you get one.

The ergonomics are terrible, unless you have VERY small hands, I am considering filling the hollow interior with epoxy, and dremeling it to fit my hands better, if I decide to keep it.

Oh, its better than the "Stock" stock, but, I bet it would beat your hand up pretty bad on a 12 Gauge.

For less than twice what the drag stock is selling for, you can get a bolt on Ace folder, FAR better if you want to do the quick bolt on PG conversion.

Thanks again for all the advice guys. Frick, after reading your post - especially about it being hollow - I've decided to do a full build. I just have to make it a winter project and take my time so I don't screw up my new favorite toy. I'm thinking the Ace lightweight sidefolder with Saw grip. I'll post pictures when I'm through.

• 1 year later...

I have the skeleton stock on my Saiga 12. It is rather well built for a hollow stock. I wouldn't think twice about crackin' someone over the head with it. Trust me it can take it.

I like the unconverted Saiga better. If you want a short little full auto MP5 wanna be gun then by all means convert. But some of us like to actually use these guns hunting and target shooting. The skeleton stock is great for that. You get the benefits of a pistol grip with a fixed stock and a cheek rest. Only problem I have with it, when using the cheek rest you can't look down the sights well. But hey, its a freakin' 12 gauge. You can aim close enough with it up. I even use it folded down on the side quite often. Still feels comfortable. Only major gripe with that stock is there is no padding on the butt. After 250+ rounds in one day you get a bruise. I took mine out this past weekend for skeet shooting. After 300 rounds and three boxes of clays, I can say that I'm glad I didn't convert my gun. Just need to find a slip on butt pad..haha

Good luck with the conversion if you choose to do it. :killer:

I guess he might be thinking about it a year later still. I am pretty confused as to how a converting a saiga, or more aptly put restoring it to the configuration it was designed to be it makes it a wanna be MP5.

I guess he might be thinking about it a year later still. I am pretty confused as to how a converting a saiga, or more aptly put restoring it to the configuration it was designed to be it makes it a wanna be MP5.

This is what I was talking about...

headercart.jpg

I recommend doing the conversion because it gives you a wider range of options on PG/Stock configuration which will let you customize the S12 to your liking.

That being said the skeleton stock is hardly a waste.

It's a modified SVD stock made at Izhmash (not RAAC) and is really comfortable, it has a nice tuck in the shoulder and the rotating cheekpad lets you get a nice cheekweld if using a red dot.

The stock is a modern SVD polymer stock, only difference being how it mounts because it needs to fit the different AK receiver. They are tough but the plastic tends to fade and flake a little with hard use but it doesn't affect the function. And as a previous poster mentioned they are more than sturdy enough to buttstroke the hell out of someone.

I fell in love with them on my NDM86 and actually like the poly better than the laminate wood, they are well made and quite functional stocks. I can also say they work great on the S12 and if I hadn't gone for the SVDS folder on my current S12 I'd still be using the skeleton stock.

Recoil pads can also be found at RusMilitary if you really have to have one.

Z

Edited by TX-Zen

This is what I was talking about...

headercart.jpg

How is that a wanna be of the below? They don't really look the same and they are worlds apart in terms of function.

post-10805-12559959219183_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zambidis

I guess he means it has a pistol grips and it shoots bullets...?/? thats sounds pretty much the same as the MP5

No..I mean the shorten barrel, full auto, pistol grip with folding or fixed stocks, and rails everywhere. I miss used the name MP5 in describing these types of Saiga conversions. Its just my personal opinion that an AK based weapon should look like an AK. I like the wood furniture look. Not the tactical military look of some people's conversions.

Thanks for the info on RusMilitary.....never seen so much cool stuff for Saiga before.

Then you haven't checked out the Saiga sections on the CSS and MAA websites yet. ;)

Is this a "MP5 wanna be gun"?

s12andg30013.th.jpg

s12andg30023.th.jpg

s12andg30036.th.jpg

Yeah, I've been looking at MAA since they only had 3 pages of stuff. Now they are up to 11 pages. CSS is good too, but I like the RusMilitary wood furniture. That's what I was talking about.