Black powder shells though a Saiga 12

I am contemplating on shooting 20 blackpowder rounds though my drum on my Saiga 12 just to see if it could be done.

Is there any reason why it should not done? I know I will have to clean up the gun good once I finish but I wonder about cycling issues.

I just want to do a massive 20 round mag dump as quick as possible with black powder. Can you imagine the cloud of smoke off of that one?

Don't do it, Black powder is and explosive, not a propellant, the gas creation and expansion rate is completely different. There is a chance it wont hurt the gun, and fair chance it will hurt the shooter if the gun lets go. You can use BP in pumps and break actions without any problems.

I too have been drawn to the clouds of billowing smoke, but not from my Saiga.

It won't hurt the gun, for the amounts you can get into a shell, the pressures will be noticeably lower.

It probably won't cycle fully, if at all, since the BP pressure curve is totally different. Once the charge gets moving, chamber pressure actually starts to drop, as opposed to smokeless powders, wherein the pressures increase as the charge accelerates down the bore.

It would be a nightmare to try to remove the fouling from every nook and cranny that an autoloading shotgun has. You best bet would be to neutralize it.

As a serious BP fan myself, I must admit it would probably look awesome, if it worked.

+1 with GunFixr...............I'd like to see it, but damnd if I'd want to clean up afterwards..........Hell I'm still hearing about the two 1860's my wife caught me with in the dishwashin machine 25 years ago...................worked great on the guns..............but that smell would not come out of that machine...................an she has a nose like a beagle........ahhhhhhh......

Wives don't like it when you clean BP shotguns in the bathtub either. I never cleaned whole guns in the dishwasher, but I did slip a few revolver cylinders through. It irritates the wife when I cook new coil springs in the oven too :devil:

Have fun! To clean the mess, first remove the plastic parts then pour boiling water all over and through everything, especially the barrel and gas system. Follow with a good cleaning with Hoppe's #9 or simular, then oil it good.(except the gas system).