effects of removing 2" from barrel

I'm interested in removing 2" from my 19" barrel and permanently attaching my muzzle brake with silver solder (giving me a 19" overall barrel length including the brake).

My question is this...what effect will this have on the gas system? Will it still cycle cheap walmart rounds like it does now?

Is there a mod you can make to recover reliability if it quits cycling low brass?

Thanks for any help, this sure has been an enjoyable project with the knowledge base here.

Edited by tjschul

Depends on how many gas ports you have (3 or 4) and their location relative to the gas tube--sometimes they are not all lined up properly. Remember when you chop your barrel to less than 18 inches you are temporarily creating (illegally) a SBS so it should be done by an appropriately licensed gunsmith.

It is ILLEGAL to MANUFACTURE a shotgun FROM A SHORT BARRELED SHOTGUN

If you cut the barrel while it is STILL ATTACHED you are now in violation of FEDERAL LAW! ( Unless you have paid the $$ for the tax stamp for an SBS)

You cannot cut the barrel and permanently reattach an extension to it, as you are "manufacturing" a shotgun from an illegal NFA weapon.

The barrel MUST BE REMOVED from the firearm, cut, the extension permanently affixed and THEN reattached... OR... as noted above... it can be done by a gunsmith with the PROPER FFL status.

:smoke:

Yeah this is unfortunately true, if you cut your barrel off you will have committed a felony. Be careful out there.

Thanks for the warnings guys, I'm pretty anal about this B.S. so... after I remove the barrel, shorten it in my lathe, silver braze on the muzzle brake and then reattach the now 18"+ barrel to the receiver.....how

will the new (effectively shorter) barrel affect cycling? I have four ports but am worried that because the brake (King Armory KA 1212BR) will relieve pressure earlier it may cause less than adequate gas pressure. Is just enlarging the holes while the barrel is off an option?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah this is unfortunately true, if you cut your barrel off you will have committed a felony. Be careful out there.

Thanks for the warnings guys, I'm pretty anal about this B.S. so... after I remove the barrel, shorten it in my lathe, silver braze on the muzzle brake and then reattach the now 18"+ barrel to the receiver.....how

will the new (effectively shorter) barrel affect cycling? I have four ports but am worried that because the brake (King Armory KA 1212BR) will relieve pressure earlier it may cause less than adequate gas pressure. Is just enlarging the holes while the barrel is off an option?

4 ports means you should be fine.

Assuming you have a #'d set of bits and a shotgun that won't cycle just see what bit fits the current port size, go to the next larger. Drill it and use a little pressure (too much would snap the bit anyway) to tilt each port tword the receiver slightly.

The exact angle is unimportant since you already have 4 ports and don't need to drill a new one. Tilting the ports back a bit just keeps the wadding from creeping up the ports.

I also like to take a polishing tip from a dremel, screwing it onto a cleaning rod, chuck the rod in a variable speed drill and with a mirror and steady hands polish the ports inside the barrel to remove burs.