Need some help. What gun (or guns)?

I am in the market for a new gun. I have had my mind set on a 1911 for some time now. But, with the election coming up, I am wanting to pick up an AR while I still can.

I was thinking of getting a less expensive pistol and buying an AR upper or lower (whichever makes the gun a gun) and getting the other half as soon as I can.

I cannot decide! I want a dang 1911 so bad, but I want an AR and will kick myself if I do not get one in time.

Should I wait and see how the elections turn out? Let that help me decide? McCain get's elected get the 1911 and the AR later, if Osama... er, Obama get's elected get a less expensive pistol and AR.

So, what pistol if I don't get the 1911??? Remember, keeping it on the low end.

Your advice is MUCH appreciated!

Thank you all in advance.

A pistol is a must BTW (CCW).

I am in the market for a new gun. I have had my mind set on a 1911 for some time now. But, with the election coming up, I am wanting to pick up an AR while I still can.

I was thinking of getting a less expensive pistol and buying an AR upper or lower (whichever makes the gun a gun) and getting the other half as soon as I can.

I cannot decide! I want a dang 1911 so bad, but I want an AR and will kick myself if I do not get one in time.

Should I wait and see how the elections turn out? Let that help me decide? McCain get's elected get the 1911 and the AR later, if Osama... er, Obama get's elected get a less expensive pistol and AR.

So, what pistol if I don't get the 1911??? Remember, keeping it on the low end.

Your advice is MUCH appreciated!

Thank you all in advance.

A pistol is a must BTW (CCW).

Since no one knows for sure what the terms will be if a new ban is put in place, there is no assurance that getting part of an AR will be any good. But if you can only get one part, obviously get the lower. It is the serialized part, and is considered the "firearm" itself. As for a pistol, hopefully someone else can chime in on that. I don't own any handguns :cryss: .

If you give us a price range to work with, we could offer more help.

My 2 cents worth? Get the AR lower and get a kit from blackthrone. I may catch crap from the purist AR people out there but i have have great luck with building their kits. You can have around $500 in it all. As far as a pistol a 1911 is great i know but how about a good used .357 magnum. You can shoot .357 loads or go cheaper and get .38 special loads for paper target shooting. I've got a Smith 686 which is a stainless with a 6" barrel and hogue grips. Kiss simple handgun for anyone to use in a defense sitiuation like the wife or girlfriend that may not be able to work the slide on an automatic.

Like i said just my 2 cents worth, good luck hunting that's half the fun. :smoke:

The receiver is the part you need registered since it's considered the gun by the ATF. You should be able to pick one up for not much more than $100. I just picked up 5 of these for the same reasons as you for $100 apiece. Save your money a little longer and you can add that money back into your budget and get a good 1911.

Since no one knows for sure what the terms will be if a new ban is put in place, there is no assurance that getting part of an AR will be any good. But if you can only get one part, obviously get the lower. It is the serialized part, and is considered the "firearm" itself. As for a pistol, hopefully someone else can chime in on that. I don't own any handguns :cryss: .

The new ATF forms now ask if you are specifically buying a receiver or frame, I believe in anticipation of a possible new AWB of some sort, so if you do not have a complete firearm built by whatever the new ban date might be, you will probably not be allowed to do so afterwords.

My 2 cents worth? Get the AR lower and get a kit from blackthrone. I may catch crap from the purist AR people out there but i have have great luck with building their kits. You can have around $500 in it all.

Blackthorne is Hesse/Vulcan :ded: . It's just another one of their company names (I think they even have a new one started recently). I don't think it's about being a purist, but more about the companies horrible reputation and QC. I'd have a hard time buying from a company that is pretty much the first to be listed on anyones "Do not buy" list. You may have had good luck with their kits, but it's just that; luck. The fact alone, that this company is constantly changing names is another indicator of their reputation. If you have to change your name every so often, because you soil your current one, that is not good. I'm not trashing your post, but I highly recommend not buying from them. I feel like this is a good case of "ya get what ya pay for".

Just my humble .02.

The new ATF forms now ask if you are specifically buying a receiver or frame, I believe in anticipation of a possible new AWB of some sort, so if you do not have a complete firearm built by whatever the new ban date might be, you will probably not be allowed to do so afterwords.

Agreed. I in the process of finishing off my lower that was sitting in my safe with no upper (I've been wanting a 9mm build anyway), partially for this reason. But if someone only has money to buy either the upper or the lower, the lower is the way to go. I'm trying to get what I want now.................just in case :ph34r: .

My suggestion is to forget any gun that is not "high capacity" or don't have "evil" features. I'd get the whole AR and any other guns that are likely to be restricted, as well as magazines. Revolvers and 1911s are RELATIVELY safe.

For handguns, I love my Ruger P85. It was bought new back in the day, and came with two 15-round magazines - just the kind of mags that won't be allowed under an AWB.

But if I were shopping right now (and when are we NOT at least looking around?) I'd be looking at the "evil rifles" - anything semi-auto with a "high-capacity" magazine, especially imported ones. Top of my list right now is probably the PSL-54 - it's so much like the dreaded Dragunov that I can't really see it being allowed to be imported for much longer. And when the supply is cut off, the price jumps overnight.

Going strictly off the last AWB, I'm looking at things like that PSL, any kind of AK variant, FN/FAL, and of course the Saiga 12. For handguns, anything with a capacity over 10 rounds will be seen as "wrong" to own, so pick your favorite maker and caliber, and go from there.

And don't forget to stock up on AMMO and accessories. It's no good having the gun if you don't have the mags and ammo to properly feed it.

Just my two cents...

Mike

My 2 cents worth? Get the AR lower and get a kit from blackthrone. I may catch crap from the purist AR people out there but i have have great luck with building their kits. You can have around $500 in it all.

Blackthorne is Hesse/Vulcan :ded: . It's just another one of their company names (I think they even have a new one started recently). I don't think it's about being a purist, but more about the companies horrible reputation and QC. I'd have a hard time buying from a company that is pretty much the first to be listed on anyones "Do not buy" list. You may have had good luck with their kits, but it's just that; luck. The fact alone, that this company is constantly changing names is another indicator of their reputation. If you have to change your name every so often, because you soil your current one, that is not good. I'm not trashing your post, but I highly recommend not buying from them. I feel like this is a good case of "ya get what ya pay for".

Just my humble .02.

Agreed. I in the process of finishing off my lower that was sitting in my safe with no upper (I've been wanting a 9mm build anyway), partially for this reason. But if someone only has money to buy either the upper or the lower, the lower is the way to go. I'm trying to get what I want now.................just in case :ph34r: .

Yes, i've heard of the rumors of bad products but like i said have had no problems with my build using a superior arms lower. I also have a fal on a hesse receiver and it is awesome. I guess it comes down to inspecting what you get before and go with what works. No offense taken just has worked for me.

I'd do both? get a AR lower since thats the "gun" part of it, you can get one for around 200-250 then pick up a 1911. You'd have a complete AR lower incase a ban does get through so all you have to do is order a upper without the hassle of FFL paperwork

Edited by Vultite

Yes. The AR for sure. Along with that get magazines. Lots of magazines. These will be regulated and expensive again someday soon. I also would like a .45 and will get one soon but right now I think anybody would be wise to get themselves squared away with all the high capacity, black, "evil" stuff. Just my opinion.

Lots of options and many good ones. I personally would get a fully assembled, fully functioning AR-15 such as http://www.gunsamerica.com/928781194/Guns/...Flat_Top_NE.htm

this DPMS for $699.00 if that is your flavor. Otherwise I would call Will at Red Stick FIrearms or Tom at CGW for a AK style 7.62x39 weapon. The .223 will be more accurate for distance but the AK is adequate for say 100 - 150 yards (IMO). I just ordered a trade in from Tom at a great price for my son that is a converted Saiga 7.62x39. The ammunition for the 7.62x39 is currently about half of what you would pay for .223 ammo. I have both and they both have their place. If you are looking for something high capacity for CQB or out to 100yds. or so get a converted Saiga or if you want a more traditional accurate at distance rifle get a AR-15 or Springfield SOCOM .308. Match your desires with your wallet and add 50% and get a finished rifle. As much as I love 1911's I don't look for them to be on the first hit list. There are a number of threads by folks who have acquired various 1911's that are thrilled but that is definately secondary. As others have said, get plenty of ammunition and magazines. Hope that helps. Just another thought.

Edited by 1911

Thank you all for your input. I am now putting off the 1911 and looking into some lowers. A full AR is not in my sights right now as I still think I need to get some type of pistola for CCW (the only pistol I have right now is a .22)

I have found a couple good priced Stag lowers for aroundthe $200 area.

The only bummer is I put a 1911 on hold about 2 weeks ago (great price and didn't want it to slip through my fingers), now I am going to swing by the shop and see if they will let me move the money I put down over to another gun or not.

I have a converted Saiga .223 BTW and am wanting to pick up more mags for that (I only have 3 :cryss:)