A HOWA 1500 in .308 would be an excellent choice for a target rifle. Reasonably priced, decent quality, and a very good shooter. Ammo is plentiful and a broad spectrum of rounds available to tailor to your rifles preference. Although my buddies will shoot 1" groups or less, all day long, with most ammo he runs through it, he was not pleased when he scoped his K-31 swiss and it would outshoot the Howa. LOL

There is NOTHING wrong with the .243. it is an excellent and very versatile cartridge. It may be to your benefit to try and fix up the one you have. Although I would also recommend a Savage with a nice laminated stock and accutrigger. Some decent glass on one would set you back about 800-900 for the combo... and you would be shooting very nice groups with ease.

I have a Savage with accutrigger in .204 ruger and a .17HMR thumbhole with it as well. Both can shoot 1 hole groups at 100 with it easily. Also my Savage F/TR in .308 will also shoot sub MOA all day long... I cannot say enough good things about the accutrigger. Its a very good setup for a relatively inexpensive factory setup!! :up:

:smoke:

Thanks for your input,

I think you are right about the .243 1) I already own it, 2) it was a gift from my dad, 3)It will probably do fine for tearing paper!

Would a heavy barrel be a good idea? The only one I can find is a Shilen(SP?) at Midwayusa.com for $270.00

Is there a little cheaper option as far as barrels go?

I think if I didnt already own this one I would check out the Savage in .308 for sure! From what I have been reading the .308 seems like a great round for this purpose.

Thanks again Indy

A HOWA 1500 in .308 would be an excellent choice for a target rifle. Reasonably priced, decent quality, and a very good shooter. Ammo is plentiful and a broad spectrum of rounds available to tailor to your rifles preference. Although my buddies will shoot 1" groups or less, all day long, with most ammo he runs through it, he was not pleased when he scoped his K-31 swiss and it would outshoot the Howa. LOL

There is NOTHING wrong with the .243. it is an excellent and very versatile cartridge. It may be to your benefit to try and fix up the one you have. Although I would also recommend a Savage with a nice laminated stock and accutrigger. Some decent glass on one would set you back about 800-900 for the combo... and you would be shooting very nice groups with ease.

I have a Savage with accutrigger in .204 ruger and a .17HMR thumbhole with it as well. Both can shoot 1 hole groups at 100 with it easily. Also my Savage F/TR in .308 will also shoot sub MOA all day long... I cannot say enough good things about the accutrigger. Its a very good setup for a relatively inexpensive factory setup!! :up:

:smoke:

Might want to look at what the price of ammo is to get target rounds in .243 compared to .308. (I've been thinking about getting a 308 for deer hunting because of the price of ammo) 308 was cheaper then .243.

If your dad gave it to you, you might want to leave it the way that it is. If it has the youth stock get one that will fit you.

At the very least shoot it the way it is it's probably as good as you need it to shoot.