Give me the real deal on SAIGA 12 forends

Greetings: I have just purchased my first Saiga Shotgun off gunbroker....finally found one actually AVAILABLE, and plan to convert it but have questions on the forend issue in the s-12. It is en-route.

I previously did a .223 Saiga conversion, making it Galil-esque using the Tapco Galil for Saiga HG in lieu of cutting slots and pushing off the gas block for a HG retainer. It is ok but I wish I would have gone all the way.

I thought the factory .223 HG was rather cheesey..... not that the Tapco is great - I would consider just venting the S-12 if it is mildly more robust than the .223. If not what are my options for fitting standard AKM guards to the S-12 or what other aftermarket providers are available?

I saw the Halos (a tad pricey!) and I saw the ones from gilberts which looked to only have one attachment point (through receiver hole). The thought of a vert grip here and a sling mount did nto appeal unless they have some other attachment point? Seems - again - weak and flex/break prone, but I have not seen them.

Is anyone producing something tough and reasonable that does not require milling or barrel pulling for the S-12? I have an OTK with OTK vert grip laying about I would love to use.

How about decent clamp on retaining parts for standard HGs?

Tromix's Galilguards looked like shaved tapcos from the photos I have seen.

Just looking for some options and info on this step and something tough - Many thanks in advance -

I can vouch for the Tromix HG as being FAR superior to the Tapco Galil. It was designed for the S-12, unlike the Tapco. It is the ONLY synthetic grip I would put on an S-12 besides a modified factory forearm. Your "cheesy" .223 HG can be modified to be quite awesome on the S-12 and make it just like the Russian version (12-K).

Check this out if that sounds interesting.... http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=31210 :smoke:

Without the parts sitting right in front of me, I'm ALMOST getting what you're saying. I'm a little confused on the front mounting block that mounts to the Saiga gas block though, is that a part that comes with the Galil HG? Where would I get that HG? Aside from the stock and grip, that's very close to what I'm working on. I hadn't decided on a HG yet, but I like the looks of that a lot.

ORF (ohio rapid fire) sells the hg, the rear hanger is something your going to have to hunt down, and the front retainer is something I fabricated from a AK retainer but one from Tromix, Dinzag, etc should work. HG typically doesn't come with the rear hanger.