.308 Dragunov RECALL

I don't know if this affects anyone here.

If you own a Norinco NDM86 .308 Dragunov please contact CUSTOMER SERVICE at 1-800-588-9500 immediately. It has been determined that certain commercial ammunition may produce a slam fire condition causing the firearm to fire out of battery. This can result in injury or death to a bystander or the shooter. A simple modification to the bolt assembly can easily remedy the situation. We are recalling only those .308 Dragunovs purchased directly or indirectly from CDNN Investments, Inc. prior to 1/1/2000. Please have your serial number ready when you call.

That has been posted a half dozen times in the past several years here and there... and its good to know, however, old news...

My thoughts on that are this...

If you havent had any problems with your gun SINCE JAN 1 of 2K... you arent going to have any now that its almost 8 years later... :rolleyes:

NOW... If they just posted that warning last week... :eek:

:smoke:

As a chinee drag owner, I was concerned that this would have applied to the 54 version, but, it never did jump to them.

And, there are a bunch of these rifles that were modded before they left CDNN, but, alot never were.

It only involves the installation of a firing pin return spring, to prevent slam fires.

If you own one of these, which are now worth 3K, you would be stupid, NOT to check and see if the mod has been made, and if not, to get the mod made, or send it back to CDNN.

The bottom line is that they did go BOOM, and that unless fixed, the potential is there, just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it won't.

Edited by frick
As a chinee drag owner, I was concerned that this would have applied to the 54 version, but, it never did jump to them.

And, there are a bunch of these rifles that were modded before they left CDNN, but, alot never were.

It only involves the installation of a firing pin return spring, to prevent slam fires.

If you own one of these, which are now worth 3K, you would be stupid, NOT to check and see if the mod has been made, and if not, to get the mod made, or send it back to CDNN.

The bottom line is that they did go BOOM, and that unless fixed, the potential is there, just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it won't.

Do not send it to them unless you want your bolt fucked up. I have one that hasn't had the mod and it won't get the mod because I shoot milsurp through it. I've fixed one that had the mod done to it and it was half-assed at best. I made it right and it works fine. If you are using anything other than milsurp with hard primers, you could get a slamfire. There are other sources to have the spring mod done and if you need them, send me a PM. :devil:

Chinese quality........AGAIN.

Since when did the Chinese have control over how we manufacture commercial ammo? It was designed to be used with milsurp, not commercial ammo. Of all of the weaponry I have and have had, I've never had any problems with the Chinese AK's, Tokarevs, SKS's and my beloved NDM.

This was also a problem with some Chinese SKS's, as well as many non-Russian AK clones. Long story short, the free-floating firing pin could, under certain conditions, get stuck forward and trigger the primer when the bolt grabs the cartridge rim. This is only a problem with some sensitive commercial primers. The recall is to allow them to install a sprung spring to retract the firing pin a short distance. These guns are perfectly safe to fire without modification if you keep your firing pin clean and well-lubed. Any competent AK gunsmith should be able to install the sprung spring.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
This was also a problem with some Chinese SKS's, as well as many non-Russian AK clones. Long story short, the free-floating firing pin could, under certain conditions, get stuck forward and trigger the primer when the bolt grabs the cartridge rim. This is only a problem with some sensitive commercial primers. The recall is to allow them to install a sprung spring to retract the firing pin a short distance. These guns are perfectly safe to fire without modification if you keep your firing pin clean and well-lubed. Any competent AK gunsmith should be able to install the sprung spring.

I've repaired one of the recalled rifles and I've seen first-hand what they do. First, they back bore your bolt with a drill press not being careful to keep the new opening paralell with the FP channel. Next, they drill a hole on the rear of the firing pin. Finally, they install what looks to be an unwound and then rewound spring from a ball point pen making sure some of it goes through the hole in the FP and secured by bending the spring in the FP hole.

Their mod is half-assed at best and if anyone feels the need to have a recall mod done correctly, contact me and I'll get you pointed in the right direction. Do not send it to CDNN unless you want to risk having your $2K+ rifle fucked up...seriously.