Saiga .410 Slugs

The steel cased slugs were made for the Saiga. They're good to go. Unless you put a choke on the gun yourself, or bought it used with one, I doubt that you have a choke. As long as you have nothing in the bore of the gun or that goes in front of the muzzle (do you know what a choke is as compared to the thread protector?) you can safely shoot any .410 ammo that you can find.

Just an FYI, Sportsman's Guide is only selling their Silver Bear Slugs in the 270rd amount. The other 2 amounts show as "out of stock" when you put them in your cart. I ordered the 270rds and renewed my membership and it comes out to $0.59 a slug to my door. I'd say that's a pretty darn good price for .410 slugs!

Just an FYI, Sportsman's Guide is only selling their Silver Bear Slugs in the 270rd amount. The other 2 amounts show as "out of stock" when you put them in your cart. I ordered the 270rds and renewed my membership and it comes out to $0.59 a slug to my door. I'd say that's a pretty darn good price for .410 slugs!

Good tips on the slugs... should load up myself at that price. How do these compare ballistically to the Brenneke's that I'm shooting and would you think it's cruel to pop small to medium sized deer at 25 yards with .410 slugs or should I just let my winnie stainless 12 gauge do it? I am absolutely loving my new gun, even though the factory iron sights shoot 10" left and about 1.5" high at 25 yards (!!!) Actually sort of shocked at how "off" the gun could be (especially with non adjustable sights). Gotta get me the AK style front sight and/or rails and scope. Any advice along these lines surely appreciated. And yes, we have plenty of guns here on Long Island NY just in case you guys thought the Clintons got rid of em all.

opfarms -- I have no personal experience with slugs out of the .410 for deer yet, but a buddy of mine (who qualifies as authoritative in my book) said it's a good choice. He's a pretty accomplished whitetail hunter from Minnesota, having taken multiple whitetail racks that look like they would score over 180, and he reassured me a .410 with slugs was about perfect for whitetail. Said it's not just sufficient, but even superior to the 12-ga. He claims that several old guys he hunted with in MN knew their stuff, used .410's for deer, and often teased him for using a 12-ga. I don't know much about ballistic coefficients and what-not, but if I understood him right the .410 will provide all the knockdown you need, even on big bucks, and will be better for trajectory and follow-up than a 12-guage. Good luck to you.

Edited by GunClinger
I don't know about your Saiga but my rear sight is dovetailed in. Look closely at yours. If it is, it can be adjusted for windage by drifting it to the right.

Russianblood- yes it's dovetailed in, but a heavy tap is not budging it at all. Hit it harder? Thanks for the advice.

opfarms -- I have no personal experience with slugs out of the .410 for deer yet, but a buddy of mine (who qualifies as authoritative in my book) said it's a good choice. He's a pretty accomplished whitetail hunter from Minnesota, having taken multiple whitetail racks that look like they would score over 180, and he reassured me a .410 with slugs was about perfect for whitetail. Said it's not just sufficient, but even superior to the 12-ga. He claims that several old guys he hunted with in MN knew their stuff, used .410's for deer, and often teased him for using a 12-ga. I don't know much about ballistic coefficients and what-not, but if I understood him right the .410 will provide all the knockdown you need, even on big bucks, and will be better for trajectory and follow-up than a 12-guage. Good luck to you.

Gunclinger- really appreciate your post. I'm thinking to keep the range under 50 yards with 3" brenneke's. Thanks again.

Russianblood- yes it's dovetailed in, but a heavy tap is not budging it at all. Hit it harder? Thanks for the advice.

It may need a bit of persuasion. Use a brass punch if you have one to protect the metal. You may also need to put a little oil on the sight to help loosen it up.

It may need a bit of persuasion. Use a brass punch if you have one to protect the metal. You may also need to put a little oil on the sight to help loosen it up.

Russianblood- Oiled, brass punched and moved just a bit. Now to sight it in again. This will all be moot when my Bushnell trophy red dot shows up later this week.