Rust in my chamber

Guest Saiga Hunter

I shot about 160 123 gr fmj wolf rounds through my 7.62 saiga on saturday and cleaned it on monday and noticed that the chamber had slight rust in it. Whats the best way to get it out. I cleaned the rifling out real good but havent had time to get the rust out of the chamber. Its real slight so i was thinking about using a 40. cal brush to get it out. I didnt see any rust in my rifling which is the bore itself so hopefully there isnt any in there. The last time is shot the saiga i put the same amount and type of rounds through it and put it in a gun sock after i left the range. But this time i used a foam padded gun case and this is I think is what made it rust so fast . i even cleaned it a day later from the gun sock and still didnt notice any rust. By the way how corrosive is this Wolf ammo. Thanks.

Hi there

The Wolf ammo you mention should not be corosive at all!

I have fired mostly wolf 123g fmj in my ak103 and have never had any rust anywhere in my gun. i would use a phosphor bronze brush to remove the surface rust and treat it with love and care oh and oil lol

could it be that some of your wolf ammo has some rust on the steel case that has left a dusting of rust in your chamber????

all the best

assassin

Hi there

The Wolf ammo you mention should not be corosive at all!

I have fired mostly wolf 123g fmj in my ak103 and have never had any rust anywhere in my gun. i would use a phosphor bronze brush to remove the surface rust and treat it with love and care oh and oil lol

could it be that some of your wolf ammo has some rust on the steel case that has left a dusting of rust in your chamber????

all the best

assassin

Like I told my brother-in-law last week, "after you shoot it, clean the bore and bolt face". His response, while holding a box of Russian ammo, "but it says non-corrosive".

Man I don't care,

Except Sellior & Bellot,

If it came from over there,

Clean it 'til it glow!

Damned, i'm a poet :rolleyes: Seriously, with the exception of S&B, I don't trust foriegn ammo to not use corrosive primers. I treat it all as corrosive. Better safe than rusty.

I had one of my chambers GROW rust in a week after shooting russian ammo. it happened just the one time, which was odd. who knows.

you can get the rust out with a bronze chamber brush and gun oil. not a big deal. what you should do is take a few patches and dip them in ammonia and run them down the bore to kill any salts that might still be in there, then reclean the bore normally. you should be ok. the ammo is non-corrosive, but every here and there ive noticed some that does corrode. dont know why.

rod your gun after every session if you dont clean it right away with a light oil on a patch, then run a brush down it once.

Hey, I forgot to mention why this corrosive/non-corrosive, clean or not to clean subject came up.

While helping me with a home heater repair, (in Denver, got to have a heater!) he asked me if I had a .22 Magnum he could borrow. He's a mountain guy, lives at 8-9,000ft., a hunter, owns and knows firearms. Why the hell would he want a popgun? Seems he has a pesky, large bobcat to deal with.

He explained that he wanted to mount it after extermination and didn't want much tissue damage, besides he didn't want to bother his niebhors. Short of .30 cal., I could only offer a .22LR or a Swed. Mauser. My solution of course was an SKS, with FMJ ammo :killer: I figured, in one side and out the other. Problem solved!

Well your chamber and barrel are chrome lined. Dont worry. I've had some bad rust (from surplus rifles) and an old timer told me to use equal amounts of Peroxide, vinegar and baking soda. Dip a patch in that, run it through .let it soak, then clean it out. Also let it soak in the chamber. It works for the hard stuff.