Gun Show Report (12-06-2008)

Just got back from a gun show in Denver. The place was an absolute madhouse! So may people packed in you could barely move - and when I left, there was a line of folks waiting to get in that was hundreds of feet long. Could barely get out of the parking lot (people had parked a lot of places they were not supposed to). Guess folks are reacting to the election.

Only saw four Saigas in the entire show: three box-stock Saiga-12s in the $600-$650 range, and a single unconverted 7.62x39 carbine, with an asking price of almost $550. Heard one vendor telling a friend that he wished he had "more black rifles to sell." All of the FALs & .308 H&Ks I saw were priced around $1000 (even obvious mismatched parts guns). Most of the ARs I saw there (and there were an awful lot of them) were priced in the same range. There were still stripped lowers available (Sabre Defense), but I didn't get a chance to ask how they were priced.

Ammo was priced sky-high, too. Saw 200 round battle packs of South African .308 priced for what I had paid for 1,000 rounds of the same stuff, only 4-5 years ago.

Wild...

Last Indy 1500 I saw ONE Saiga 12 already converted, he wanted 1400 i think. Plenty of other Saigas though, Scottsburg is just up the road...usually one guy there with a very good selection of .223 x39's 20 gauges etc. But only one on the 12's....

Just got back from a gun show in Denver. The place was an absolute madhouse! So may people packed in you could barely move - and when I left, there was a line of folks waiting to get in that was hundreds of feet long. Could barely get out of the parking lot (people had parked a lot of places they were not supposed to). Guess folks are reacting to the election.

Only saw four Saigas in the entire show: three box-stock Saiga-12s in the $600-$650 range, and a single unconverted 7.62x39 carbine, with an asking price of almost $550. Heard one vendor telling a friend that he wished he had "more black rifles to sell." All of the FALs & .308 H&Ks I saw were priced around $1000 (even obvious mismatched parts guns). Most of the ARs I saw there (and there were an awful lot of them) were priced in the same range. There were still stripped lowers available (Sabre Defense), but I didn't get a chance to ask how they were priced.

Ammo was priced sky-high, too. Saw 200 round battle packs of South African .308 priced for what I had paid for 1,000 rounds of the same stuff, only 4-5 years ago.

Wild...

Pretty much that way around the DFW area too. In the box S-12's around $650, .308's around the same, and .223's and x39's in the mid to high 500's. Saw a converted .223 today that was I believe $900 asking, and a converted S-12 well north of $1K. Even Romy WASR-10's (CAI builds) are fetching $750. Any REALLY nice AK (Bulgarian, Tantal, etc.) is touching $900. Dang, even SKS's are fetching big bucks.

WRT ammo, I bought Silver Bear x39 last week for $139 a case (500). .223 was priced close to that. Thank goodness I have a friend who reloads that had a TON of reloaded .223 that he was willing to share at his cost.

I got my Saiga 223 about three weeks ago for $350+tax NIB. It was one of three my dealer got in. (I picked it up last next, but more on that in another post). He sold them all in the first day. He said he can't get any AKs (Romys or anything else) or Saigas at any price from his suppliers. He had a SAR Rommy, and it went in one day for $700.

I got my Saiga 223 about three weeks ago for $350+tax NIB. It was one of three my dealer got in. (I picked it up last next, but more on that in another post). He sold them all in the first day. He said he can't get any AKs (Romys or anything else) or Saigas at any price from his suppliers. He had a SAR Rommy, and it went in one day for $700.

I went to the San Antonio Gun Show Saturday, and it was the same as the other posters observed: a madhouse! Took me 20 minutes of standing in line just to get in the place. It opened at 9:00am and by 10:15 you had to walk sideways to get down the aisles. People with 2 wheel dollies pulling cases of ammo through the crowds and out to their vehicles, and people standing in line to fill out their Form 4473's at any table that sold semiauto weapons. Crazy! :dollar::cryss:

...made me chuckle a little inside...

Have to admit, I was laughin' (& not "inside" - it was "out loud" ;>) when I walked away from the table where the 'entrepreneur' was trying to sell the unmodified 7.62x39 Saiga carbine for $500 plus. But maybe he was smarter than I am - I didn't see another one in the entire show...

I was at the St. Paul MN show Yesterday. No .223 Saiga's. No mags. Found a bakeilite 30 rd .223 mag for $20! Score!

I talked to my Saiga dealer and he thought he would see some .223's and 7.82x29 in two weeks but he said they told him it would be $500 for .223 and $600 range for 7.62x39! Standard Stock NIB.

Once the pawn shop stuff dries up, this stuff is going to really jump!

Do what I did before I went to the show, Check out all the surplus firearms dealer web sites and try to find any type of AK or mag or Ammo! It's tough to find. (go to surplus rifle and to the links section and you will find a list of 20 dealers)

This stuff most likey cleaned out at the distributor level.

Not tring to scare anyone as I'm looking to! I should have bought ammo insted of just mag's yesterday.

Frosty