(4) 12 rounders or ONE 20 rounder?

already have 2 10 rounders, dont know which option i should choose?

I DID choose 4 12rd mags over one twenty round drum. Investment-wise, I'd probably go the route of the drum, but practicality...48 rounds of 12 gauge all the way (4 mags)!

I wasn't worried about looking pretty or making money on the deal. I wanted the most number of rounds.

Your needs might be different.

-Emt1581

I DID choose 4 12rd mags over one twenty round drum. Investment-wise, I'd probably go the route of the drum, but practicality...48 rounds of 12 gauge all the way (4 mags)!

I wasn't worried about looking pretty or making money on the deal. I wanted the most number of rounds.

Your needs might be different.

-Emt1581

Definitely go with the MD 20 Drum! You won't regret it.

Regardless of whether the 12 rd mags turn out fantastic or not, you should be able to continue to get AGP 10 rd mags and you are likely to NOT be able to get the MD-20 Drum. Like emt1581 said everyone's needs are different. For me it would be a no brainer to get the drum while you can but that may not be your need/desire. Just get something. :)

Regardless of whether the 12 rd mags turn out fantastic or not, you should be able to continue to get AGP 10 rd mags and you are likely to NOT be able to get the MD-20 Drum. Like emt1581 said everyone's needs are different. For me it would be a no brainer to get the drum while you can but that may not be your need/desire. Just get something. :)

Yup, like I said, I'd rather have the capability of putting more rounds downrange than have something highly valuable/rare with a fraction of the capabilitiy (number of rounds).

Please don't misunderstand though. Once I have all the mags, and I know they work, a drum will find it's way to my list. ;) I just want to make sure my "practical" bases are covered first.

-Emt1581

A drum would be a good investment and a lot of fun, but I prefer stick mags for practical purposes. Ultimately it's a matter of personal preference though.

That's why I've got 27 stick mags and (3) drums plus a prototype. :)

HOLY SHIT!

That's over $1200 just in stick mags! Altogether you probably have about $3k-$4K in just mags/drums...right?

-Emt1581

A drum would be a good investment and a lot of fun, but I prefer stick mags for practical purposes. Ultimately it's a matter of personal preference though.

That's why I've got 27 stick mags and (3) drums plus a prototype. :)

HOLY SHIT!

That's over $1200 just in stick mags! Altogether you probably have about $3k-$4K in just mags/drums...right?

-Emt1581

Couldn't say really, 11 are Izzy from various sources at various prices, 10 are Clear AGP, and 6 are 5 rd. Izzy, the drums were pre-order. Besides that if I knew what I had invested and Mrs. 1911 asked I might be in deep doo doo. Better that I don't know. Same reason I throw away the liquor store receipt as they hand it to me. Some things are better left unknown. :)

ps - these are things I used to own, I already sold them all at the garage sale.

Edited by 1911

There's two ways to look at it. The drum is a better investment and you could always trade it for some mags OR your going to need mags and the drum is just for fun. Both are true, I would probably get the drum and get mags later. However, mags are a necessity and I would trade a drum for mags at a later date if I couldn't buy them. If you decide so get mags, get the AGPs. They are proven and I would hate to invest hundreds of dollars in (what may be) unreliable mags just because I was in a rush.

Damn 1911, I've go some catching up to do! I've got 15 mags and 3 drums, but I have no gun. :(

There's two ways to look at it. The drum is a better investment and you could always trade it for some mags OR your going to need mags and the drum is just for fun. Both are true, I would probably get the drum and get mags later. However, mags are a necessity and I would trade a drum for mags at a later date if I couldn't buy them. If you decide so get mags, get the AGPs. They are proven and I would hate to invest hundreds of dollars in (what may be) unreliable mags just because I was in a rush.

Damn 1911, I've go some catching up to do! I've got 15 mags and 3 drums, but I have no gun. :(

Try to catch up with Cobra, I only had 4 S-12's and I have no idea how many he has. Or better yet, try catching up with JerryofDallas, Tony Rumore. Will at Red Jacket or Tom Cole. :eek: Toms even got a dang Tank! :lolol:

Edited by 1911

Try to catch up with Cobra, I only had 4 S-12's and I have no idea how many he has. Or better yet, try catching up with JerryofDallas, Tony Rumore. Will at Red Jacket or Tom Cole. :eek: Toms even got a dang Tank! :lolol:

Hey, ya gotta have a goal, right? I'm destined to fail, but it'll sure as hell be fun trying!

Geez! I only have the factory 5 rounder and 1 AGP 10 rounder. I do have two 12 Rounders on order with plans to cut one down to about an 8 rounder :eek:. 10's are too long for me I can only imagine what the 12's will look like! If the 12's work well I will buy more and cut some down. On a different note, I do have a line on a Saiga and MD Arms drum. I told him to hold it for me :devil:!

From a practical stand point, they more mags the better. Since a Saiga is a slave to it's mags, if one breaks, you need another. So have 4 mags vs. 1 drum is better.

From a fun stand point, what is better than a drum. A 20rd AK based semi auto shotgun is about as fun as it gets. It was what we dreamed about back when the 1994 Assualt Weapons Ban was in place.

From an investment standpoint, mags seem to be better. Before the 1994 AWB, you could get AR 30rd mags for $10 and a Beta-C mag for $180. The AR mags sold for $20-25 at the height of the ban for a 312% increase. The Beta sold for $400-500, for a 277% increase. I should also mention, selling 4 mags for $100 each will be easier than selling 1 drum for $500.

With all that said, I just ordered a Drum myself. Firearms are primarily a hobby for me. So fun and looks are important to me. It happens to be a secondary benefit that I get a SHTF weapon as well as a hobby that doesn't loose much value or even gains it. So while the items I buy mainly gains in value (IE investment) is definitely isn't the primary reason I do so.

I have 4 AGP 10 round mags, and tonight I was asking myself the same question you are asking. I decided on the MD Arms 20 round drum. The reason I chose the drum is because the SF 12 round magazines are 14 inches long (I read on here somewhere). That is longer than the 10 Round AGP, and for my purposes, those are really to long. On my Tromix S17 8" SBS, the magazine would be almost as long as my shotty! I have 2 8 round Izhmash mags, and they are the right length for my purposes.

Now, I dont know the length of the drum, but it is shorter than the 14" 12 round magazine. The down sides to the drum (IMHO), is that I will not be able to fold my Tromix stock closed while the drum is attached like I can with magazines, and the MD Arms does not take 3" shells, only 2 3/4".

If someone would make a magazine with staggered shells to hold 10 or 12 shells and keeping the magazine around 8 or 9 inches long, that would be perfect for me.

But to answer your question, my vote is to buy the drum. Consider the mags you have, with those in mind you pick up 10 additional shells with the drum, but only 2 more with the SF mags. With the MD Arms drum you will up the coolness factor.... and I bet the chicks would dig it more.

Edited by Blam
The reason I chose the drum is because the SF 12 round magazines are 14 inches long (I read on here somewhere). That is longer than the 10 Round AGP, and for my purposes, those are really to long.

Has anyone actually seen or posted a photo of these mags? The various websites have the .308 picture up.