Need info quick on AK mags for my Saiga!

I just found out there's a gunshow in my town this weekend. I also have just purchased a Saiga 7.62x39 and am in need of several 30-rounders for it. Will any AK mag work, or do I need a special one? Is there a magazine tutorial around here that I can read about which are the good ones and bad ones? Thanks in advance!

As a general rule, a regular AK mag will not work in a Saiga unless a bullet guide is installed and the mag catch is filed down slightly. You must also comply with 922r if you are using a "hi-cap" mag.

There are "hi-cap" mags made specifically for Saigas (made by Surefire Gun Mags) which will fit in a stock gun. However, 922r will apply.

Theres a high-res picture ive seen posted here before that lists all the different types. Everything from bakelite's to single stacks.

You should read up on how to install a bullet guide but dont let that prevent you from buying mags. Like everything else prices are going up. Any 30 round steel mag should be good. $10 a mag is a good price. Buy as many as you can.

Mod your rifle to use them later.

I have that question too, will surefire saiga mags (or any saiga mags) work/fit correctly with the installation of a bullet guide on x39? or just regular AK mags after that?

If a bullet guide is installed in the Saiga, will it still feed from the Surefire mags? Is installing a bullet guide a typical modification done by those professionals on here who mod the saigas back to the true form?
As a general rule, a regular AK mag will not work in a Saiga unless a bullet guide is installed and the mag catch is filed down slightly. You must also comply with 922r if you are using a "hi-cap" mag.

There are "hi-cap" mags made specifically for Saigas (made by Surefire Gun Mags) which will fit in a stock gun. However, 922r will apply.

See my sig, and please quit feeding the anti agenda.

They are military surplus AK mags, not "hi caps".

If a bullet guide is installed in the Saiga, will it still feed from the Surefire mags? Is installing a bullet guide a typical modification done by those professionals on here who mod the saigas back to the true form?

Your Surefire, Master Molder or factory Saiga mags will work with the bullet guide with little or no mods (Surefire/Master Molder). The factory Saiga mags will need their lip lowered a little bit.

This can be done so that enough lip remains for the factory Saiga mags to work in a Saiga w/o a bullet guide, if this is your wish.

• 2 weeks later...
I have that question too, will surefire saiga mags (or any saiga mags) work/fit correctly with the installation of a bullet guide on x39? or just regular AK mags after that?

Have a look here:

http://www.dinzagarms.com/downloads/x39_mag_options.pdf

I went with 30 rd Surefires from MAA and I am happy with 'em. I read a thread somewhere by someone who confirms what nalioth says..that you can indeed use Surefires with bullet guide installed. I plan to use the Surefires and eventually do the bullet guide then get some regular ak mags.

ProMag 30rd magazines are perfect for the Saiga AKs. Polymer in a waffle shape; They come in black, smoke, clear, olive, and tan. I found some at the gun show yesterday for $30 but ive purchased them from Gun & Pawn for $20 in the past.

Just purchased a Ruger P89 yesterday :P