Drag flash suppressor on Saiga .308?

New to the forum and thought I would pose my question to resident experts.

I am thinking of putting a Drag style flash suppressor on my Saiga .308 X 22" barrel.

Go here:

http://www.aa-ok.com/AK_Spare_Parts/Spare_Parts.htm

and check out #2-217.

Was wondering if anyone here has used this muzzle device on the .308 and what were the particulars of installation.

Good to be here and am enjoying all of the useful info posted.

Thanks.

Tex

Hey there and welcome to the forum Texian. I'm afraid I can't add anything useful on the subject of attaching the brake, but 2ndGunman has already given some very good info on the subject. As far as functionality goes, I doubt that the particular brake you are looking at will reduce recoil much. It should help to stabilize the barrel a bit and help with a faster follow-up shot. The other thing that these types of brakes are good for is diffusing muzzle blast. In my experience, they are very good at breaking up the wave front produce by a 308 rifle with a short barrel. As far as flash hilding goes, it will change the shape of the flash, but it will still be there. I hope this answers some of your questions. Good luck with your new rifle.

Tex, welcome.

I like that Flash Hider and think it would look nice on the .308 Saiga. Personally I refuse to "permanently" affix anything I dont have to considering the AWB has expired. I would pull the front sight and thread the barrel to accept the Drag FH. Then press it back on farther back and re-drill the cross pin holes for the new location. You cannot install a retention pin and spring into the factory Saiga front sight base but you could potentially swap the front sight base for a Chinese Polytech part. The Chinese barrel is only 2.5mm smaller than the 16" Saiga barrel at the same point. You would need to turn down the Saiga barrel to accept the Chinese front sight base then you would have the retention pin and end up with something very similar to what you saw in that picture.

Others have different and perhaps easier ways to do this but this is just what I would do. A side note to folks with the 16" barrel version. The 16" barrel is much thicker at the muzzle and would require extra work such as turning down the barrel prior to threading. The 22" tapers down and will make this easier. Plus it may actually be closer to the size of a Chinese barrel thus making it even easier to fit a Chinese front sight base. You would have to measure as I dont have the 22" version. Then you need to consider that the flash hiders outer diameter may now actually be smaller than the barrel it is attached to and you may not like how that looks.

Note: I modified this post as the section in red previously stated that you COULD modify the factory Saiga front sight base to accept the retention pin. Upon closer inspection, you cannot.

post-6-1106409577.jpg

Edited by vulcan762

2ND GUNMAN,

Thanks for the welcome.

Nice job on your installation. Looks very clean.

Tokageko,

Thanks for the welcome.

This particular piece is not a muzzle brake. In fact, it is a flash suppressor and that is what I am looking for. This design is similar to the M14 and from observation, using my 2 M14 clones, it should serve this purpose well. I hope so, anyway. I have had this rifle for 2 years and have never fire a round from it. It is still NIB. Thanks for your comments.

vulcan762,

Thanks, also, for the welcome.

I like your idea of threading the barrel and drilling the sight for the retention pin. Any tips on how to install the retention pin? Using the method you suggest, I could index the FH to where I need it and could install a pin so that I could stabilize the FH for absolutely no movement. On the other hand, I could "permanently" mount the FH with soft silver solder. This is, after all, an item I probably would never remove. If needed, the soft solder is easy to heat and break loose.

I appreciate all of the prompt replies.

Any ideas on where I can purchase a 14mm X 1LH die?

Tex

2ND GUNMAN,

Thanks for the welcome.

Nice job on your installation. Looks very clean.

Tokageko,

Thanks for the welcome.

This particular piece is not a muzzle brake. In fact, it is a flash suppressor and that is what I am looking for. This design is similar to the M14 and from observation, using my 2 M14 clones, it should serve this purpose well. I hope so, anyway. I have had this rifle for 2 years and have never fire a round from it. It is still NIB. Thanks for your comments.

vulcan762,

Thanks, also, for the welcome.

I like your idea of threading the barrel and drilling the sight for the retention pin. Any tips on how to install the retention pin? Using the method you suggest, I could index the FH to where I need it and could install a pin so that I could stabilize the FH for absolutely no movement. On the other hand, I could "permanently" mount the FH with soft silver solder. This is, after all, an item I probably would never remove. If needed, the soft solder is easy to heat and break loose.

I appreciate all of the prompt replies.

Any ideas on where I can purchase a 14mm X 1LH die?

Tex

See my edited post above regarding front sight retention pin.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...