I can't figure this S12 OUT!!!!! HELP

I hope that there is someone out there that can help me.

I bought a S12 and did the conversion to pistol grip, stock, trigger, etc...

It would not cycle anything at first, so I read some forums and went to work. The barrel only had two gas ports, so I drilled a third and increased the size of the others by 1/32". Then I took the regulator and slightly increased the angle to allow more gas and for better alignment in #2 position.

I still could not cycle anything in semi-automatic mode. So I clipped off about 3.5 coils off the spring.

I can now cycle Winchester Super X 00 Buck-2 3/4" without problem. I can also cycle slugs-basically anything that is high brass.

I want to cycle the cheap wally world stuff, but at best it will not eject (Winchester Super X 4 Shot-2 3/4")

All this in number 2 position. I do not have a chance cycle anything in position 1.

Any suggestions? I am at witts end! :ded:

Dunno if this will help. My 2 holer is S/N H08429XXX. I saw the previous post about H08431XXX. Just wanted to let you know that earlier batches may have the same "feature."

I have come up with a method to repair the gas tube hole issue. A method anyone could do at home with simple HAND tools and minimal effort! Including disassemble and reassembly this modification took about 2 hours. I will create a separate topic later with complete instructions and pics.

The Saiga 12 I did this mod to was a '3-holer', meaning it had three holes drilled into the barrel. I know this because I used my Snap-On borescope to look down the barrel.

BORESCOPE IMAGE:

post-14713-1231135995_thumb.jpg

The issue is that although the barrel has three holes, two of the holes are obstructed in the gas tube ahead of the piston. This leaves only one hole for gas to pass through and operate the action of the gun.

GAS TUBE (before mod):

post-14713-1231135862_thumb.jpg

Even in this condition, this gun would fire everything BUT the cheap low power Wally birdshot using both gas positions #1 & #2. Wally loads would FTE (Fail To Eject) every shot on either gas setting.

After modification all three holes are clear. I'm assuming the gun will cycle everything now with all three holes uncovered. I will test fire the gun and report my findings. If for any reason it still FTEs, I will add a additional hole. I do not want to drill any more holes in the barrel unless absolutely necessary.

GAS TUBE (after mod):

post-14713-1231135810_thumb.jpg

You can see from the following picture what was going on before modification. Two of the three holes were coverd by the poorly aligned/machined hole in the gas block. (The powder burn outlines the original round hole.)

BARREL:

post-14713-1231135772_thumb.jpg

Edited by JeffD

I took a look at my shotgun and I have what looks like 4 holes, they are drilled out in a clover leaf pattern.

The hole near the front I could not tell if it was drilled through all the way but I have to assume.

Btw I have an 08 stamped on the side of my S12, I assume 2008 manf?

If you get a two-hole S-12 that has some problems cycling lighter loads, send it back to RAAC if you can and want to. There is, however, another option that may help some people. I have a two-hole S-12 myself. Both holes are unobstructed. The gun would only cycle high-brass 2 3/4" loads reliably on gas setting 2, even after I polished the internals.

I got a new gas knob from Gunfixr, and the performance of the gun immediately improved significantly. The addition of a #3 gas setting and a more efficient design for channeling the gas seem to make the difference. My S-12 now cycles anything from medium target loads (Winchester AA Super Handicap) on up with no malfunctions. I am not saying that this will solve everyone's problems, but it may help some people; especially those who are having issues with guns that have already been converted/worked on and can't be sent back for warranty work.