i need help I just bought a saiga 308 well i keep seeing all this stuff about 922r compliance. I asked the local gun dealer what I need to do to make my gun compliant if i start changing things on it he said nothing but everywhere on the net says the opposite. other forums have referred me here a couple people have sent me those check lists so on and so forth but im looking for a straight up answer. I want to use the the high cap mags and change the stock to a Ar style pistolgrip stock what else am I going to have to do to make it compliant? just for the record I read this law over twice and it seems very stupid to me that I cant use hi cap mags in an imported gun but i can in a domestic one.

Welcome to the Forums!

Because you want to use "high-cap mags" and the pistol grip, you must be 922r compliant. No offense, but your local gun dealer has his head up his ass.

Take a look at this site. It has a check list of every part on your weapon that can be changed out to make your weapon compliant. You can automatically uncheck the "Pistol Grip" option since your Saiga didn't come with a pistol grip when it was imported. At the bottom of the check list, you see a running total of how many parts are left to become compliant. Your goal is to equal 10 parts. Every part that you uncheck, you have to replace with US-made parts.

Here are the easiest parts to replace to become compliant:

Trigger

Hammer

Disconnect

Buttstock

Forearm / handguard

Hope this helps!

Edited by TR Young
Welcome to the Forums!

Because you want to use "high-cap mags" and the pistol grip, you must be 922r compliant. No offense, but your local gun dealer has his head up his ass.

Take a look at this site. It has a check list of every part on your weapon that can be changed out to make your weapon compliant. You can automatically uncheck the "Pistol Grip" option since your Saiga didn't come with a pistol grip when it was imported. At the bottom of the check list, you see a running total of how many parts are left to become compliant. Your goal is to equal 10 parts. Every part that you uncheck, you have to replace with US-made parts.

Here are the easiest parts to replace to become compliant:

Trigger

Hammer

Disconnect

Buttstock

Forearm / handguard

Hope this helps!

I would like to add the gas piston(the hocky puck looking thing) to the list of easy US 922r compliant parts. Muzzle devices also.

so looking at that list if i use only US made mags replace the trigger group and gas piston then i can add a pistol grip and stock and be compliant

The saiga 12 with threaded barrel is considered 14 parts.

If you change out your gas piston(1 part) and convert your gun(3 parts for US made FCG) you will be able to use ANY mags, and not rely on US made mags.

14- 3(FCG) -1(gas piston)=10(legal)

If you want to leave your trigger in the sporting configuration, you can get 2 US parts for a FCG, throw in a gas piston and one more US made part and your good for any mags also.

I know when most people talk about changing out a FCG they are talking about converting, but i don't want to have ANY misunderstanding due to my part.

Many people go well above and beyond once they start modding thier saigas. For example mine has..

1(gas piston) 3(FCG) 1(Front HG) 1(Muzzle Device) and if i have a AGP mag in another 3. But i don't want to have to worry about having a AGP mag in to make me legal. I don't see why you should use a 10 round mag, when its restricted from most hunting rules. I want to be able to use 5 and 2 round mags for hunting. Why not be able to do everyhing with your saiga?

Make sure your stuff is US made. There are many parts available now that are not 922r compliant, being either made in Israel or China. Stay away from anything made by CAA or Leapers/UTG if you want to use it for compliance. Stocks, pistol grips and trigger groups can be had from Tapco or K-Var, both have US compliant parts for sale. Pistons tend to be a Tapco product. I used a K-Var Stock, Tapco trigger group and pistol grip for my conversion. My magazines are from FBMG but they seem to have stopped production so your only choice for a .308 Saiga would be Surefire. Not sure any one makes a drop in Saiga 308 handguard, all others need modification of some sort. Hope this helps. Good luck on your build.

so looking at that list if i use only US made mags replace the trigger group and gas piston then i can add a pistol grip and stock and be compliant

The saiga 12 with threaded barrel is considered 14 parts.

If you change out your gas piston(1 part) and convert your gun(3 parts for US made FCG) you will be able to use ANY mags, and not rely on US made mags.

14- 3(FCG) -1(gas piston)=10(legal)

If you want to leave your trigger in the sporting configuration, you can get 2 US parts for a FCG, throw in a gas piston and one more US made part and your good for any mags also.

I know when most people talk about changing out a FCG they are talking about converting, but i don't want to have ANY misunderstanding due to my part.

Many people go well above and beyond once they start modding thier saigas. For example mine has..

1(gas piston) 3(FCG) 1(Front HG) 1(Muzzle Device) and if i have a AGP mag in another 3. But i don't want to have to worry about having a AGP mag in to make me legal. I don't see why you should use a 10 round mag, when its restricted from most hunting rules. I want to be able to use 5 and 2 round mags for hunting. Why not be able to do everyhing with your saiga?

He is looking for Saiga 308 conversion, that has 16 parts I believe. Trigger group is three parts, stock is one, pistol grip is another and piston would be another. All together switching those out would make him quite compliant. The Siaga 308 does not have a muzzle device so unless he adds one he does not have to worry about it.

He is looking for Saiga 308 conversion, that has 16 parts I believe. Trigger group is three parts, stock is one, pistol grip is another and piston would be another. All together switching those out would make him quite compliant. The Siaga 308 does not have a muzzle device so unless he adds one he does not have to worry about it.

Man thats the 2nd time i made that mistake, good catch.

Have you checked dinzag's site? Worst case scenario you can get american made wood.

The Saiga rifles have 14 listed parts, as imported.

Here's the link to the Saiga specific (rather than the generic AK) 922 checklist:

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

Edited by cma g21
so i wont have to change out my safety?

Not if you get Dinzag's .308 FCG

I keep seeing people saying that it is easier to convert the 308 vs. 7.62x39 how true is this?

The .308 does not need a bullet guide installed, and the new trigger will use the same pin and pin hole location as the factory trigger. So, I'd say it's easier.

i have dremel, and a hand drill is the drill press a absolute necessity?

I used only a hand drill. Though a drill press might have made it easier, it's not required.

can you tell me anything about this stock is it one piece or two separate pieces-Saiga M4 Collapsible Intrafuse Stock with pistol grip -TAPCO?

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=31996

Edited by cma g21

I keep seeing people saying that it is easier to convert the 308 vs. 7.62x39 how true is this?

The .308 does not need a bullet guide installed, and the new trigger will use the same pin and pin hole location as the factory trigger. So, I'd say it's easier.

I used only a hand drill. Though a drill press might have made it easier, it's not required.

can you tell me anything about this stock is it one piece or two separate pieces-Saiga M4 Collapsible Intrafuse Stock with pistol grip -TAPCO?

ok what else am i gonna need to put this back together once I do all this grinding and punching rivets out and stuff. I ask cause i plan on starting all the ordering this week and getting on the conversion as soon as I start getting stuff in I really hope i dont mess this up.

Edited by yugritin

ok what else am i gonna need to put this back together once I do all this grinding and punching rivets out and stuff.

FCG (I recommend Dinzag's FCGPGC3): http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcg.html

Pistol Grip nut and screw: http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/misc_parts.html

Stock and Pistol grip of your choice

I'd also recommend a new attachment method for the pins. Many recommend the retaining plate. Hitch Pin Clips are another option, as are E-Clips. I used the E-Clips, although the Hitch Pin Clips might be easier (I believe Cobra likes them). Both clips have the advantage of being cheap (3 for 50 cents): http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/misc_parts.html

You might also consider ordering the screws, nuts & allen wrench to reattach the trigger guard (TGHWARE1). I riveted mine, but if you don't have a riveter these will work, plus they're only $1: http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/tghware.html

ok what else am i gonna need to put this back together once I do all this grinding and punching rivets out and stuff.

FCG (I recommend Dinzag's FCGPGC3): http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcg.html

Pistol Grip nut and screw: http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/misc_parts.html

Stock and Pistol grip of your choice

I'd also recommend a new attachment method for the pins. Many recommend the retaining plate. Hitch Pin Clips are another option, as are E-Clips. I used the E-Clips, although the Hitch Pin Clips might be easier (I believe Cobra likes them). Both clips have the advantage of being cheap (3 for 50 cents): http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/misc_parts.html

You might also consider ordering the screws, nuts & allen wrench to reattach the trigger guard (TGHWARE1). I riveted mine, but if you don't have a riveter these will work, plus they're only $1: http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/tghware.html

you have been a huge help thanks two more question scope wise I was thinking 3-9x 40 cause Ive used them on other rifle but any other recommendations in optics? and are there any other mags that can be modified to work with this gun cause those surefire mags are expensive.

Edited by yugritin
you have been a huge help thanks two more question scope wise I was thinking 3-9x 40 cause Ive used them on other rifle but any other recommendations in optics?

Nothing wrong with a 3-9, but some may not hold up too well on the Saiga (due to the recoil characteristics, especially of the bolt slamming).

I had a Simmons break fairly quickly. YMMV.

You might want to look at this (not a bad price, especially when you consider that it includes the mount):

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=649

and are there any other mags that can be modified to work with this gun cause those surefire mags are expensive.

Some have modified G3 mags to work (but it takes a quite bit of work, grinding and welding - then holds only 17 rounds).

Someone on this site is working on an adapter to use FAL mags (but this requires modifications to the rifle). I suppose it would depend on how many magazines you want to have, whether or not this would be cost effective.

I went with FBMG's and Surefires. I recommend the 20's if you go with Surefires, as I've found them more reliable than the 25's (and far easier to find mag pouches for).

Edited by cma g21
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all, I've been using this site whenever I needed info on my Saiga 308-1 post-15696-1233380623_thumb.jpg and have found quite a bit of useful information. I joined up tonight because after reading this thread and the 922r wiki I'm confused as hell... I don't plan on doing any modifications on my rifle, but would like to use the high-cap mags that have become available since I bought the rifle 3 or 4 years ago. The 922r wiki states "it is not necessary to alter a Saiga for 922r compliance unless it has ceased to be a sporting rifle", does simply using a high-cap magazine cause it to 'cease to be a sporting rifle'? Thanks in advance!

Hello all, I've been using this site whenever I needed info on my Saiga 308-1 post-15696-1233380623_thumb.jpg and have found quite a bit of useful information. I joined up tonight because after reading this thread and the 922r wiki I'm confused as hell... I don't plan on doing any modifications on my rifle, but would like to use the high-cap mags that have become available since I bought the rifle 3 or 4 years ago. The 922r wiki states "it is not necessary to alter a Saiga for 922r compliance unless it has ceased to be a sporting rifle", does simply using a high-cap magazine cause it to 'cease to be a sporting rifle'? Thanks in advance!

Simple answer is, yes.

If you use Surefire mags, they count as three compliance parts. 14-3=11 (not compliant).

If you want to comply, you'll need to change out one more 922r part.

The simplest would be to replace your gas piston with a US made one.