New Saiga 7.62 owner- 922 question

Hi everyone,

I just pulled the trigger on a brand new Saiga 7.62 16" barrel and really excited to get it. Paid $450 but I figure worst case I won't lose any money if I have to sell it.

My question is, does adding a Surefire 30 round magazine alone automatically make the gun an illegal weapon under 922? The dealer I bought it from said no but I'm not sure if he's correct. I bought the gun to hunt with and want to keep the stock look when out in the woods, but would like the option of a 30 round mag if the shi** hits the fan for self-defense. I was wondering if just putting on the Surefire 30 rounder makes it an illegal weapon?

Thanks!

PS- I had an interesting conversation with a Saiga dealer today who said that demand is not the only reason prices have up so high on these. He said the Russians have figured out that they underpriced this weapon by several hundred dollars as Americans have figured out that this is the highest quality "AK" under a $1,000. He said that the recent dealer price increase is because the Russians have kept raising their prices and will probably do so until demand diminishes somewhat.

The question is: Is it illegal to import with a 11+ round mag from the factory?

If yes, then putting an 11+ round capacity mag in it is a 922r violation.

If no, then no it's not.

Saigas are imported as "sporting purpose rifles" and according to the lawmakers here, "10 round magazines" are 'sporting' and any magazine that holds 11 or more rounds is "non sporting" and rifles shipped with 11+ round mags can't be imported.

If no, then no it's not.

Saigas are imported as "sporting purpose rifles" and according to the lawmakers here, "10 round magazines" are 'sporting' and any magazine that holds 11 or more rounds is "non sporting" and rifles shipped with 11+ round mags can't be imported.

Thanks for the reply but I'm still confused. You mentioned "import" and that is what threw me off. I simply want to know if I put a US made Surefire 30 round magazine on a US bought Saiga does it make it illegal.

Thanks

If no, then no it's not.

Thanks for the reply but I'm still confused. You mentioned "import" and that is what threw me off. I simply want to know if I put a US made Surefire 30 round magazine on a US bought Saiga does it make it illegal.

Thanks

922r is a law covering firearms that cannot be imported in their standard configuration because they're "EVIL". If it is a magazine fed semiautomatic rifle, it cannot be imported with more than a 10 round magazine.

If you insert a magazine over 10 rounds into a "sporting rifle" that was imported here as a "sporting rifle", you have now taken it out of the "sporting rifle" category and placed it back into the "evil non importable rifle" category and have committed a federal felony.

The 922r law changes reality in allowing you to exchange some evil foreign parts for US made parts, at which point the rifle will be considered "US Made" and exempt from the importation criteria.

You should attempt to familiarize yourself with this stuff. It is stupid, but it can get you in trouble.

First off, welcome!

You should attempt to familiarize yourself with this stuff. It is stupid, but it can get you in trouble.

Yup, and yup. And remember, Wildman - it doesn't have to make sense; it's the law! :)

It's always struck me as odd that if I want to use a 30-round magazine at the range to cut down on reloading time and maximize my trigger time (at $12 an hour), I ALSO have to make my Saiga into more of an "evil black rifle" - because people hate evil black rifles so much. Ironic, huh? They hate my rifle, so in order for me to change out ONE thing about it (the magazine), I have to make it into something closer to what they hate.

But, as noted above, it's the law; it doesn't have to make sense.

Mike

Yes. It would be illegal. You would need to add one more Compliance part. Replacing the stock would be an easy one.14-3-1=10(legal)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So in essence, if I buy a US made pistol grip folding stock along with the 30 round Surefire magazine I will then be legal? How hard is it to put a folding stock on?

Can the gun still be fired with the stock folded on one of these?

Yes. It would be illegal. You would need to add one more Compliance part. Replacing the stock would be an easy one.14-3-1=10(legal)

So in essence, if I buy a US made pistol grip folding stock along with the 30 round Surefire magazine I will then be legal? How hard is it to put a folding stock on?

I put the ACE folder on mine. Have it fold to the left away from ejecting rounds and it sould fire fine, although i've never fired mine like that, s/b no prob.

Just remove the orig. stock - 3 screws (one is underneath the reciever cover, remove the spring to access) Replace w/ the new U.S. stock. You may have to pull and bang on it some to get the old one off.

if you add a pistol grip (correctly) you will need a new FCG also... this will move the fcg forward and put the pg where the fcg was..

Yes it is. The Saiga is 14 parts. You have to get the rifle to 10 or less foreign parts. The Surefire mag counts as 3 parts, which brings you down to only 11 parts. You need one more part to make it complaint. The frontgrip, or the buttstock would work and is really easy to install. If you don't want to convert now, look at the Tapco Fusion T6 stock. I haven't converted mine yet, but I can tell I will want too. The trigger pull feels funny, especially on my S12.

Yes it is. The Saiga is 14 parts. You have to get the rifle to 10 or less foreign parts. The Surefire mag counts as 3 parts, which brings you down to only 11 parts. You need one more part to make it complaint. The frontgrip, or the buttstock would work and is really easy to install. If you don't want to convert now, look at the Tapco Fusion T6 stock. I haven't converted mine yet, but I can tell I will want too. The trigger pull feels funny, especially on my S12.

Simplest way to be 922® without doing the PG is get the Galil-style fore-end from Tapco and use Surefire magazines.

Hi everyone,

I just pulled the trigger on a brand new Saiga 7.62 16" barrel and really excited to get it. Paid $450 but I figure worst case I won't lose any money if I have to sell it.

My question is, does adding a Surefire 30 round magazine alone automatically make the gun an illegal weapon under 922? The dealer I bought it from said no but I'm not sure if he's correct. I bought the gun to hunt with and want to keep the stock look when out in the woods, but would like the option of a 30 round mag if the shi** hits the fan for self-defense. I was wondering if just putting on the Surefire 30 rounder makes it an illegal weapon?

Thanks!

PS- I had an interesting conversation with a Saiga dealer today who said that demand is not the only reason prices have up so high on these. He said the Russians have figured out that they underpriced this weapon by several hundred dollars as Americans have figured out that this is the highest quality "AK" under a $1,000. He said that the recent dealer price increase is because the Russians have kept raising their prices and will probably do so until demand diminishes somewhat.

COwildman, hunt with the stock 8 round mag (there is a way to convert the standard 8 to a 10 in the tech section) and if SHTF shoot anyone that looks at you funny. Who cares about 922r when the SHTF?