Next Gun Purchase

I've been looking at the Saiga 7.62x39's at my local gun shop for the past few weeks now.. and they only have 2 left.

They're priced at $380... which seems pretty reasonable for one to me.

I've got an S-12 and I love it and I was thinking of making the 7.62 my next firearm purchase... but I guess I need some convincing.

I know it's a great receiver, but I don't have the tools I need to do a conversion on one myself. I know it's an easy job, but I don't want to do it half-assed either. I'm wondering if I might just be better of taking the money I would spend between the saiga and conversion parts... etc, and investing it in another decent AK. Even if I got the saiga and left it unconverted, I'd end up spending a couple hundred extra to get mags for it.

Another thought is that the saiga 7.62's should be safe from an assault weapons ban.. right? Even though prices would go through the roof, and they'd be almost unavailable. So maybe it would be better to stock up on ak's right now?

I've also been considering taking the $$$ and putting it into a couple of unissued Yugo SKS's I found for $225 each.. since I don't own an SKS yet.

Anyway.. at $380.. it's hard to pass up.. any thoughts?

I'm sold... I'm calling them today to make sure they still have at least one in stock and can do a 50% layaway deal. I need to save some cash for ammo.

Now my only other issue is. I've heard the master molder mags work in a saiga, just file off a little of the mag lip. My question here is, has anybody done this mod and gone back and forth between an actual ak and the saiga with the same mag? I was thinking of stocking up on the 47 rounders... but I'd like to be able to use them in my ak and saiga without keeping track of which mags fit which guns. I'd rather not have to worry about installing a feed ramp at this point.. so those seem like the way to go.

Not sure if that question has been asked before.. but I couldn't find anything referencing doing the slight mag modification and switching between ak variants and saiga.

Get it! I paid $419 for mine. Even if it would have been more, I would have paid it! They are great rifles. ALSO, The new AWB(H.R.1022) Does list the SAIGA. Which sucks.

if that is the case do our existing weapons become "pre-ban" and thus legal..