Help, I cant get my 1911 back together right

HI bought this part (see pic) and put it on

I am pretty sure I got the parts all right, the leaf spring underneath, the spring down the middle of this part.,,..

but now it only cocks the hammer sometimes when it is cycled and only drops the hammer sometimes when the trigger is pulled,,,,,, HELP?,,

Any advice??

Thanks,

I'm no expert on 1911's but that piece is the mainspring housing with a mag well. The three fingered spring (sear spring) must sit properly in the back of the frame. Is it reversed? Are the fingers sitting where they should be and not over or under the respective parts (e.g. beaver tail) they are supposed to? Are the mainspring housing cap pin and housing retainer pin (things that go into both ends of the mainspring) both in place? I'm sure there are guys on the forum who can put these things together blindfolded and steer you straight.

OK, duh, here's the part,

EDIT TO ADD: The old one had a spring inside so I moved it into this one (3 pieces)

something clicked at some point,..

There's a little pin (mainspring cap pin) that keeps that main spring in its housing. Did you put that back in? It goes into a hole towards the top of the housing.

It sounds like the leaf spring (3 fingered) is not locking into the little slot that keeps it in place. It is held there by the mainspring housing. Take the main spring housing off and then put in making use the bottom is locked into that little cut out.

HTH!

It sounds like the leaf spring (3 fingered) is not locking into the little slot that keeps it in place. It is held there by the mainspring housing. Take the main spring housing off and then put in making use the bottom is locked into that little cut out.

HTH!

What he said. Be careful, the leaf spring likes to move when you put the mainspring housing back in sometimes, make sure the little tongue of the spring is in the slot in the frame. I usually make sure the leaf spring is properly aligned and just slide the mainspring housing just far enough to hold it in place. Then I make sure the hammer strut is going into the proper hole in the mainspring housing while sliding it further up. Use a punch to hold the mainspring housing in place and test for function, then finally place the final pin in. When testing make sure you are blocking the hammer so it does not hit your frame, that would be B A D.

Yes, that pin is back in,..

OK, duh, here's the part,

EDIT TO ADD: The old one had a spring inside so I moved it into this one (3 pieces)

something clicked at some point,..

There's a little pin (mainspring cap pin) that keeps that main spring in its housing. Did you put that back in? It goes into a hole towards the top of the housing.

Does your grip safety seem to move in and out freely with the new magwell/MSH installed? :unsure:

Some of these parts need to be fitted slightly (as tabs on top need to be stoned/filed a bit) for proper functioning. "Drop-in" installation is a misnomer.

Yeah, everyone should know how to detail strip a 1911 and put it together again. Simplest gun out there mechanically. Glad you found it a learning experience and that it works again. I am a certified 1911 armorer and do some gunsmithing on my guns besides. Nothing to it really, just have to be careful. I recommend reading the Kuhnhausen book on 1911s.