I have searched but to no avail. Is there a way to "open up" the Saiga 10 round magazines to 15 rounds. The magazine seems awfully long for only 10 rounds so it would seem possible. 30 round mags are too long for my taste so if I got it converted I'd only use 20 rounders anyway. If I could convert the Saiga mags to 15 rounds that would be ok too. Thanks.

Rumor has it that with SLIGHT modification, a saiga can take AK magazines, and similar.... perhpas you could find some AK 20 rounders, and modify them to work in your Saiga??

That and a feed ramp... you will be GOOD TO GO!

:smoke:

I have searched but to no avail. Is there a way to "open up" the Saiga 10 round magazines to 15 rounds. The magazine seems awfully long for only 10 rounds so it would seem possible. 30 round mags are too long for my taste so if I got it converted I'd only use 20 rounders anyway. If I could convert the Saiga mags to 15 rounds that would be ok too. Thanks.

Errr...

As I've SAID BEFORE:

Saiga308mag-1.jpg

(1) Trim off the bottom of the follower -leaving just a little if the molded in "nib" that severs to stop the follower at the tiop of the mag...

(2) Trim a bit off the overly stout spring, and...

(3) Loose the plastic floor plate lock (too thick) or replace it with a metal standard AK one (you can put the plastic locking plate in the 30 round AK mag and it'll work just fine).

It will feed 15 rounds reliably.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Edited by lollygagger

Well, errr...

IT WAS A LONG WORKING WEEK END!

The pic shown IS a .308 Saiga mag (adapted to 10 rounds from 8 -as much as it'll do).

The directions & procedure for the 7.62x39mm Saiga mag is as indicated.

And, yes, there is a follower that can replace to original to increase mag cap...it seems just as about easy (and CHEAP!!) to just wack off some of the follower, to me.

I think the original Saiga mag modified to 15 rounds makes a particularly nice "user" mag.

Lollygagger :bag:

Yes, you can trim the follower on a stock Saiga mag for more capacity.

Before I trimmed the follower on my stock Saiga mag, I took a follower out of a 5 round AK mag that had been trimmed to accept 10 rounds. Putting it in I was able to get 14 rounds in the Saiga mag.

I then went back and trimmed 1" off the Saiga's follower and cut down the two floor plate spikes just a bit. Could get 14 rounds in it again.

The stock Saiga spring in its full compression stage only allows 14 rounds as far as I can tell.

The stock Saiga spring in its full compression stage only allows 14 rounds as far as I can tell.

The spring is overly stiff -and needs to be trimmed some.

But, the thing that prohibits the 15th round (once the follower is cut) is the FLOOR PLATE LOCK/SPRING GUIDE (the pc. on top of the florr plate) -it's just TOO THICK.

Loose that, and you'll get 15 rounds in with no problem.

Lollygagger, one day, you're going to be shooting and out of nowhere the bottom of one of your mags is going to come off and spill every round left in the magazine onto the ground.... All because you insist on doing away with the locking plate. :lolol:

Actually, I've had that same thing happen with a poorly made CZ 52 pistol magazine (unmodified). Gigantic PITA. Seriously though, once you remove the locking plate, does the bottom stay in place by itself? or did you have to improvise some other kind of (thinner) locking device?

Lollygagger, one day, you're going to be shooting and out of nowhere the bottom of one of your mags is going to come off and spill every round left in the magazine onto the ground.... All because you insist on doing away with the locking plate. :lolol:

Actually, I've had that same thing happen with a poorly made CZ 52 pistol magazine (unmodified). Gigantic PITA. Seriously though, once you remove the locking plate, does the bottom stay in place by itself? or did you have to improvise some other kind of (thinner) locking device?

With the 7.62x39mm Saiga mag...

I REPLACE the plastic Saiga locking plate with a STANDARD METAL AK locking plate.

No fall-ie off-ie!

Lollygagger :unsure: (and they WILL recoil off if nothing is done)

Ah... I see. Yeah, I would figure that was the case. I just didn't remember seeing you post anything except: "get rid of the locking plate". Of course, that could easily be my memory. Anway, thanks for the reply. :up:

You've GOT to loose the locking plate with the .308 Saiga mag 8 to 10 round mod.

It's just TOO THICK and I don't see a ready metal replacement. I just put a screw thru floor plate that extends into the mag body and prevents it recoiling off.

E-mail me your address, I will send you one of my Saiga mag followers. I switched to the Tapco followers and dont need ALL of my Saiga ones. You may be happier with the Tapco follower, it is indestructable, US made and adds 5 rounds to your capacity. They sell for $3.00. I am sorry to hear that you messed it up. I did the same to my foregrip in a mill machine and had to buy a new one. in a flash of brilliance I mounted a shotgun buttstock to my rifle...... It wiggles. So I now have to also replace that. I know exactly how you feel.