Exploding AK with military ammo!

Yesterday I was surfing youtube and played a video of a man shooting his AK. After several rounds the firearm exploded. The dust cover was blowed off the weapon and it landed several feet away. The video stopped without showing the condition of the man or the weapon. There was a brief written explanation stating they were shooting mil-surp ammo and that insurgents were sabotaging ammunition that was suppose to be used by forces friendly with the United States Armed Forces. The ammo was suppose to be packed with a plastic explosive like C4. Apparently the primer acts like a blasting cap. The ammo had made its way to the United States somehow. I cannot locate the youtube video now to re-read it and make sure I have all the facts straight. Has anyone heard about this and is there any truth to it? The AK did blow up but that could have been caused by a overload in a reload. I think they said the ammunition was initially from Iran but I could be wrong about that too. If I find the video I will post a link.

Special Forces (MACV-SOG) did the very same thing back in Viet Nam to the NVA's ammo caches scattered throughout South Viet Nam and Laos. Rumors are that this is why U.S. troops were generally forbidden by higher command to utilize AK-47 rifles in combat except for SEALS Teams and some Recon units:

Operation Eldest Son

Yes superhawk138...that was the video but the version I saw had no sound with it and had written messages in the video. I see the title of this one says it occurred in Iraq. Thats good to know. I would hate to have that happen to me. Hopefully none of this ammo makes its way to America.

"bullpatty pie" Thats some funny s***. Actually if you read my post I was asking if there was any truth to it. The firearm did suffer a bad failure. If there are any actual demolition experts on this forum who see this thread please weigh in. Is it possible to detonate plastic explosives cased in a metallic cartridge using a rifle primer? And how much damage would you expect a 7.62x39 cartridge case packed with plastic explosives cause to the shooter and firearm? If the ammo isn't being imported into the US then it's a mute point but I'm still curious.

Actually, I'm of the opinion that it was a squib or a case head separation. The puff of smoke is strong evidence for one of those, as you would not likely see that kind of smoke from a simple double charge, nor would a single double charge be likely to destroy an AK outright. In the case head separation scenario, the head of the case blew out, blowing the dust cover and spring off the gun. Alternatively, you had a squib load that did not clear the barrel and jammed just past the gas port, but the retained pressure still allowed the action to cycle. Second shot fired, and the pressure ahead of the new bullet caused the action to open prematurely while also releasing the back pressure directly into the action and effectively blowing it apart.

From what we actually saw, I would guess it was a squib. That's entirely possible given how an AK operates. A bullet jammed in the barrel past the gas port would have that exact effect. The "Oh *BLEEP*!" and "That's it for that puppy" clearly indicate the gun was effectively destroyed, which would really only happen with a squib. Also, did you notice when the gun seemed to "jam" earlier, that it appeared to be fully in battery by the position of the handle when he reaches for it? That is supporting evidence for bad powder, which could lead to a squib if a round was not fully faulty.

post-12303-1233475255_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike the Wolf

what ammo was it? chinese?

yeh, we did a little "sneaky" on that didnt we. no wonder norinco ammo is illegal here............

one in ten thousand has C4 in it? yeh, i wouldnt buy it either..........

that blackwater guy got off easy.......very lucky.

A guy I worked with was a Vietnam Vet, he had an AK, so did a few of his fellow vets, from what he said, he stated they did not get a lot of grief if they had one... he also had some pictures of himself and his fellow vets with their proletariat plinkers...

The picked up AK was not their main rifle though, they did have their M16s

Edited by MD_Willington