Valmet Recoil Buffer (Does this actually work?)

Please read this thread: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=35036

Recoil buffers in AK's cause more problems than they solve, in most cases. It's more effective to just buy a stronger AK recoil spring that will still allow the gun to fully cycle than to buy a buffer which will still cause impacts, just a lot sooner because the buffer does not allow for a full stroke. There's a few companies out there that make them.

The Saiga 308 already has a limiter (that tab on the rescoil spring guide). This limiter prevents the bolt from going back far enough to hit the rear. When I tried a recoil buffer in one of my 308s, it prevented the bolt from traveling rearward enough to properly eject spent brass - I would get stovepipes. You may need to remove the limiter in order to use a buffer in the 308, but if you do that, your bolt could pop out of the rails on recoil. I determined its best to leave the design as is. I dont find the recoil that bad anyway.

Are you talking about a RECOIL buffer or the Valmet EJECTION buffer?

The former fits inside the receiver cover, around the rear of the recoil spring guide and (reputedly) keeps the bolt carrier from battering the rear trunnion / rear of the receiver. The latter was (is) made by Valmet to keep freshly ejected brass from dinging the rear of the top cover slot during cycling.

[Click here to see what I'm talking about...]

I am unfamilar with any unique Valmet recoil buffer.

If you're talking about the ejection buffer made by Valmet; it's nice accessory, especially if you reload, but they're kinda hard to find and not really worth $40+, IMHO. Thick electrical tape usually works just as well.

Macbeau sends...

Edited by macbeau

Recoil buffers in AK's cause more problems than they solve, in most cases. It's more effective to just buy a stronger AK recoil spring that will still allow the gun to fully cycle than to buy a buffer which will still cause impacts, just a lot sooner because the buffer does not allow for a full stroke. There's a few companies out there that make them.

Yeha, i read that thread, but I also know that Ruger 10/22s have recoil buffers for them and from ympersonal experience make a whole lot of difference. I thought that maybe that Recoil Buffer would do the same for my Saiga.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've used Blackjack buffers in most of my 7.62x39 AK builds, and have had good results with them. I've sometimes had trouble with the takedown slots in the rails of US receivers, where they extend forward far enough that the bolt can slip out of the rails at its rearmost point of travel. The buffer prevents this from happening, and does no harm that I have been able to determine. I have been told that it alters the cyclic rate, but that isn't really a concern with a semi build. Having said that, the factory arrangement on the Saiga seems to work fine, so I wouldn't want to mess with it.

Yeha, i read that thread, but I also know that Ruger 10/22s have recoil buffers for them and from ympersonal experience make a whole lot of difference. I thought that maybe that Recoil Buffer would do the same for my Saiga.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

The 10/22 recoil buffer replaces a part that was designed in to the rifle.

No extra objects/dimensions are being introduced into the weapon (as there are with an AK recoil buffer).

The buffer that I have in my silenced ak pistol works great . Because of all the excess back pressure I thought it would be easier on the carrier and it was cheap so why not try it. It is only a 7.62x39 but I did not want the end of the carrier to get pug faced like my sar 1. So far about 2000 rounds shot through the gun about 400 with the suppressor and no pug facing of the carrier tail.