First time Saiga owner starting conversion TIPS??

I would leave the mag catch alone. Just re-use the trigger guard or cut the mag catch off your new trigger guard. I would also drill and tap the bullet guide and go slowly. If your comfortable with bucking rivits than fuck what I just said. But I.M.O. it'll go easier if you use machine screws(small bolts) and lock tite. Spend the money and get the cobolt drill bits, and go slowly with everything, don't rush the job. If you don't have a dremel, get one. If you want to refinish do it when the rifle is in pieces.

When drilling the trigger pins out, try not to get into the receiver. Use a vise when trying to get the disconnector spring, your gonna have to drill on the existing trigger group. If you have a problem ask, don't do something stupid and fuck up your gun....PLEASE.

• 2 weeks later...

$400 with the parts?? Friggen score. There is $150 to $200 worth of parts. IMHO I would take my time and install the trigger guard. If needeed you can get a screw plate or use 4 little nuts with locktite. I have the same front grip and I love it. The best advice anyone can give is Take Your Time. There so many conversion tutorials on you tube and on this site. Watch then do. When drilling the receiver take the thick blue masking tape and cover it to save from bumps and scrapes. You can always go back and rivet the trigger guard. You will run across the homemade rivet jig for the trigger. If you are putting in a mag guide drill slow and stragiht and when tapping it use tapping fluid and go real slow 1/4 turn in 1/4 out until done.

Having an extra set of hands makes it that much easier.

leave the Manual Bolt hold lever out....

its not there in the original,it just one more moving part, and spring that can cause problems.

if you feel the need for a bho notch your safety lever.

good luck

welcome to the darkside